82 XS650 Starts then dies

Congrats!
Those bundles of wires have to get from the alternator up to the wiring harness, routed behind the left side engine cover and around the chain and front sprocket. I've seen some that we're bit by the chain.
Grab yourself a Haynes manual, if you don't have one.

UPDATE: IT IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First off thank you everyone for everything. What it came down to be was a split wire from the pickup coil. Problem was that the cable was wrapped in a plastic sleeve and was hard to detect. My test yesterday of the ignition system found the problem. It is running a little rough for its first run in 9 years but now that it runs I have a great place to go from. Thank you again everyone.
Check it out here!!! <<---- Click my video!!!!

Hi Cal,
congratulations on finding that broken conductor, who'da thought to check that on an XS650, eh?
Of course, it's the FIRST thing you check on an XS11's ignition because they have a vacuum-advance that flexes the pickup wires as the vacuum actuator moves the stator plate that the pickups are attached to.
Just gently pull on the wires to test. If they stretch the conductor is broken. It never occurred to me that the XS650's pickup wiring could fail that way too even if they don't move. Sorry about that.

Keep reading the Tech forum ,sometimes a lot of reading ,but the members here are very knowledgeable and helpful, a rare earth magnet from radio shack,2 for like three bucks, quick steel on top of your pick up magnet on rotor,clearance will be ok! Stock magnet on rotor gets weak and this will fix it and actually makes your bike run better! Also the TCI can cause the problem too! Zener diodes especially!TCI section has great info on this!

Thanks everyone I am super excited that it is running. Now all I need is a good tune up, a coat of paint, maybe a few new parts. I will keep posting pictures of my progress and videos of it running.

OK so the bike is running better and better. I have started the rebuild. It will be slow because I decided to finish up another college degree (Stupid idea) But this will be the coolest update of the entire thread even cooler than getting it running. While my sister was looking through an old photo album she found a picture of my father on his old motorcycle...

Attachments

• 539324_10150647299866938_946979655_n.jpg
    539324_10150647299866938_946979655_n.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 228
He!! - I missed this when you posted it and now the danged video won't play. Oh well, congratulations Cal! I just knew it had to some dumb@ss stupid thing like a bad conductor inside a piece of insulation. Well done! From my experience with Lucille, your bike will get better and better each time out.

Cheers,

Pete

So I am back in the garage today after a long time and working on the 650. Can someone confirm or deny the presence of a gasket on the oil drain plugs? Mine doesn't seem to have one. I was going to put oil back in it right away but without knowing this I don't really want to waste new oil in the bike. Also I cleaned the oil filter and I am glad I did that thing was nasty.

Thanks for the information. Littlebill31 I will see if I can get these locally. I cant imagine how long the bike ran before I got it without these and leaked oil. The previous owner really did not maintain it at all.

Those washers may be commonly available at your dealer - and note that there are two drains Cal.

Glad you're back at it!

Pete

I re-use my copper washers each oil change, annelid and they seal like a dream. Gasket too, light coating of grease both sides, they are able to be re-used time and time again

My XS originally arrived with no washers and surprisingly did not leak. Since replaced with copper.

Without the copper washers the plugs sometimes lock up, in my experience. One's that I have removed with plugs will be tight, but usually come off. Stuck ones without a washer are a bear to remove.

Back