83 stock carbs

maximusrising

XS650 Enthusiast
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Good day All
Could someone share a photo of the bracketure which holds the choke cable ?
Installed. I’m having a serious brain cramp. Does the “C” shaped bracket with the one-screw hold-down go in the middle of the right side on top of the wishbone plate? I’m trying to get it on the right side outside and it’s useless in that position
Thanks
John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 71
Install the bracket on the inner side of the right carb top, parallel with the centerline of the bike. Everything else looks good.

See..:laugh:. I actually took a picture of mine, but the filter on the breather port has left quite an oily mess, and I just noticed my choke cable beginning to fray after 37 years. After seeing the surgically clean bike some of you have, it seems I will be busy this winter now that I have a garage to work in.

Yes, as you've described - on top of the butterfly plate between the carbs, inner side of the right carb .....

4RX0uaP.jpg

Unfortunately, the choke cable is no longer available from Yamaha, but they pop up on eBay. It was also used on the big touring bike, the Venture, so you may have better luck searching for that. That's how I found one .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=7640376ac7479b766a9b8866b4deec99cdfccc62

Funny you should mention a Venture. Two high school pals just bought one each. You can find them pretty cheap now. Amazing bang for the buck.

signal-2020-06-26-093344.jpg

Darn toot'n after new tires and windshield I've got $800 into this 90 with 40,000 miles (barely broken in for a Venture) put 2,000 miles on it already. Tour DELUXE! LOL They are a great ride and oddly have a very tight turning radius. Might be the only seat I've ever found that DOESN'T need the sheepskin...

Wow! Good thing we can wear masks this year.

ce22.jpg

How is the parts supply actually Gary? I almost bit on a last year Voyager 1300 for $1800 a few months ago but thought parts would be a nightmare. I'm not sure how much better Yamaha is for supplying parts for out of production models. I'm also not sure if I'm a touring bike kind of guy.

Wouldn't know about parts haven't needed a thing LOL. But there are a lot of these around, both running and for parts, a great forum too.
This is my 5th (I think) Venture, the 86-93 are the best of the lot.
Yeah I robbed a widder lady. But long story a friend gave it to her husband then he died, she was just passing it on to a good home. And in this case that's me! I may do a long trip on it this fall. Cuz Why not?

I'm just happy I was able to find a cable. I searched first for a 650 one and nothing came up. Searching the Venture cable produced better results.

I'm just happy I was able to find a cable. I searched first for a 650 one and nothing came up. Searching the Venture cable produced better results.
would be an easy todo from a bicycle cable kit.

Back