83 xs650 heratige special starting problem

So I went threw the entire ignition system took both plugs out gap properly reinstall tested for spark and I had it added starring fluid because I don't have a tank installed it went one fire headlight went on then tried restarting and nothing took plug out checked for spark and nothing.....wtf

Kinda sounds like a bad TCI box. There are things you can look at inside the TCI box. Look for burnt diodes and resistors, cold solder joints. Some have had luck fixing a TCI box, others get lucky when buying a used box.
Replacing it with an aftermarket ignition is a good fix. I like a Pamco.
Leo

Ok I'm back got rid of bad tci installed pamco, it kicks over but for a second with starting fluid new gas in bowls but does not want to stay running I sound like a carb problem but not sure

The plate under the left cam cover with the wires going to the coil. Did you put in centered between the two hold down screws?

Try running the Pamco wires straight to a good charged battery. Disconnect everything else from the battery, even the charging system. Isolate it down so your not wondering about everything all at once.

I disconnect every thing ran pamco to new battery still doing the same thing I have a thought that it might have something to do with the carbs should I take the carbs apart for the 5th time ? It sound like its starving from fuel

Last edited:
I think your right, I'd be checking those to. And while I had the carbs off I'd set the cam chain tensioner and set the valves. Just remember, correct order is cam chain, set valves, set timing then carbs. Having said that if your carbs are way off you'll no chance to set timing, as your finding out.

Back