1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

911 706cc doa

Discussion in 'Great Lakes U.S.' started by Cafe Murdock, Sep 16, 2020.

1. So i was finishing cleaning up my top end pieces to my 79 xs650 im doing a 706cc kit from cruzin image and went to grab my parts outta the parts washer and seen this damage to my rockers

2. Bushyeyed1

Bushyeyed1 Cafe Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

You didn’t attach a picture.

3. Heres a couple more

Attached Files:

gggGary likes this.
  4. I mean i no im gonna have to replace the rocker arms now n ive got spares i wanna no if my cam could be ok after sumthin like this

5. I mean i no the cams fonna have corasponding scaring but if i replace rockers cam and cam bearings both sets this should completly relace every thing in my top end and itll b all new 706 performance parts

6. Bushyeyed1

If you can run your finger nail across the shiny part of the rocker and it catches it should be replaced.

7. Ok that is wat i was lookin for in a answer u can see that my cam n cocker r scrap a blind man could see that one .but also wat causes this kinda severe gouging other than a oil feed blocked or partilly blocked

8. TwoManyXS1Bs

TwoManyXS1Bs BBQ Hunter Top Contributor

YamadudeXS650C, Jim, gggGary and 2 others like this.
  9. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Would like to see the cam those were scraping on!
    Only cuz I like to see carnage...

10. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

I think scraping is the right term.:eek:

YamadudeXS650C, Jim and gggGary like this.
  11. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Grinding.... filing.... what's the word I'm lookin' for here....
    As 2many said, check your oil pump. I suspect it aint pumping based on the heat discoloration.

TwoManyXS1Bs and GLJ like this.
  12. kopcicle

kopcicle antidisestablishmentarian

13. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Lathing?
    Plowing, ploughing,
    furrowing.
    milling,
    Sorry Cafe Murdock.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Jim likes this.
  14. Bushyeyed1

Time to tear that engine apart

15. Ur good man n yas not wrong pics of cam shortly but wats the best way to remediy this problem i mean can the oil passages be blew out with compressed air

gggGary likes this.
  16. Bushyeyed1

I’m not sure what your saying exactly but I think you should start in and around the oil pump.

17. Scottrt

Scottrt XS650 Addict

I would bet that all that warm metal came off and find particles and was suspended in the oil and some are most of it trapped in the filters. you should be able to clean out the oil galleys just fine since you don't have any chunks or large flakes I would suspect.

18. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

When the bike is back on the road get a rev-counter................I see it has been deleted from the bike. Not only does it show how many reves the bike is doing, it is also an oil pump warning system.............

If the rev counter fails it is one of 2 things...1; the cable has broken.......2: the oil pump has failed........or, 3; if the gauge fails..........

looks like you rode the bike for some time to do that much damage to the rockers

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  19. Only about 60 miles maybe at most thats y i was shocked cuz it started acting up omw home from work n it was a go or blow cuz if not no other way home or way to get the bike home

gggGary likes this.