1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

A bit or loads of help !! not sure

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Andres, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Andres

Andres XS650 New Member

Hello everyone! new to this, Im a bit stack with my 1979 special, I have spark issues, got spark on one side point none on the other and zero on spark plugs, tested coil, battery, spark plugs are new so its the coil and condenser also the points, it was running very well but stoped all of a sudden, tested power and followed wires testing all seems to be good wiring kill switch is fine shaped wires to plugs also with no luck so looks like I need some ideas :) getting very frustrated also tested compression its good.

gggGary likes this.
  2. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Welcome aboard!
    Do you have the gas tank off?
    Each coil gets 12 volts from the kill switch Check that they have it.
    The other wire from each coil goes to a 3 way junction where coil, condenser, points are joined. A VOM connected there should show alternating, 12 volts then ground as the motor is turned.
    If it shows always ground you have a constant connection to ground through a wire or points. IF always 12 volts your points are not closing or a wire or connection is open.
    You mention sparks on one set of points. While small barely visible arcing is normal, large sparks at the points would be a sign you have a bad condenser. Did you keep the old ones? try swapping them back in?

3. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

One simple test I might suggest would be to try swapping the wires that power the coils or the coils themselves to see if the problem move to the other coil or not. Hope that made sense, it's still early and the doctor has me off caffeine so mind does not kick it too good in morning, as if it does much better latter!:er:

gggGary likes this.
  4. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

gggGary, So I'm guessing at least some of what I tired to say made sense?

Anytime I have to work on a system with duplicate components that are easy to swap I like trying that first to see if the problem moves or stays put. Like swapping two injectors in a diesel engine to see if the miss moves with the injector. Sure if one is lucky to have the means and understanding to actually test the component that is ideal but if not at least it will save you from throwing money in new parts at a machine.

I like to think the best mechanic is the cheap and lazy one.

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  5. gggGary

You got it KSH, when troubleshooting, always check, eliminate the cheap easy stuff first. Swapping left to right fits in with that.

6. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Well crap! Now you guys tell me. My solution has always been to throw piles of cash at it.
    Replace everything until it magically starts running ! :laugh2:

7. gggGary

Wish I obeyed my own rule more often, wait until tomorrow before shooting the money gun.

TwoManyXS1Bs, kshansen and GLJ like this.
  8. mrtwowheel

mrtwowheel Honda Etched On Brain Top Contributor

First choice refurb the part, second choice build the part, last choice buy the part cheap.

timbeck, beano, TwoManyXS1Bs and 2 others like this.
  9. Superjet

Superjet XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Hey Bob some do this even without you suggesting! Lol :smoke: JC

Mailman and TwoManyXS1Bs like this.