A Collection of XSJohns Mods

wow, that sucks to hear. I was reading a lot of his posts, inevitably, and the guy was quite a character!

not to be rude, but is it still possible to get his bs34 needles? Did anyone stock up? Or take over his supply after his passing?

If not, is there a guide about modifying the needles to match his specs?

Thanks

Dimpled Piston Skirt

After 32000 miles on my xs650 1980 everything in the engine was still in spec. But the skirts were showing wear. This will cause piston tilt as it revolves. Other high mileage engines of mine that I dimpled and have shown no skirt wear.
This helps the piston straight in the bore.

An old trick I learned in the seventies to make things last longer.
Using a small say 1/8 inch sharp drill bit put some dimples in the front and rear of the piston skirt so a tiny bit of oil can collect and lube the skirt better. The dimples should be maybe say 20 or so thousands deep.

I called Falicon and ask them what they thought of the idea. They said “It can’t hurt to have some more oil on the skirt. Dimpled skirts went in.

Another trick is to use a gram scale and balance the pistons......from inside take a bit out of the heavier piston to match the lighter one.........

Here is the piston divot thing....small drill like an 1/8" and shallow cuts ....good to balance the heavier piston to the lighter one by removing some of the material from the heavier one.........gram scale.....

XSJohn.

Pic 1; XSjohn's Drawing of his Dimpling;
Pic 2; Dimpling done by cheftay.

XSJohn; "For the dimpling, my divots were not as deep.....more like the piston on the left near the bottom.....but it shouldn't make any difference..."

Attachments

• Dimple Piston Skirt.jpg
    Dimple Piston Skirt.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC00401.jpg
    DSC00401.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,148
Last edited:
Smooth Piston Ring Edge

Smoothing the edge of used rings with some 320 to me is a must.....To keep the sharp edge from contacting the cylinder wall.....pistons do rock slightly... I do it to new rings too........have been for 40 years and I can't remember wearing a set of rings out....I wouldn't dick with the oil rings though.......

good to remove the sharp edge on used rings with some 320 sand paper....hell I do it on new rings.......will last a long time then.................

Though I would make a simple drawing for how I smooth my ring edges.........

XSJohn.

Attachments

• Smooth Sharp Edges on Piston RIngs .jpg
    Smooth Sharp Edges on Piston RIngs .jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Smooth Cam Chain Edge

5000 miles on smooth cam chain and I am not sorry I did it. I laid it out on a board with 180 then 220 paper and a block of wood. Just a bit.

XSJohn.

Attachments

• smooth out cam chain.jpg
    smooth out cam chain.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:
Some one needs to do thos with inxs' info. Good work skull. Needs to be a sticky.
Perhaps a guru section . 5t, grizld1, 2m all have the most mods that are still searched for.

pretty vague. how about....gurus's sticky corner. lock the threads for no responses. Must pm mod to ask further?

Back