A few questions about wiring my bike, searched and didn't find definite answers.

PickleSlice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Trying to familiarize myself before I dive in and start wiring it up.

I'm trying to get the charging circuit done.

I pulled off the old wiring harness because it was shot, but I still have it and cut off the ends that I think I can use. The first pic on the left are the wires coming out of the alternator. The second and third pics are what I think is the correct connector for the reg/rec, but I'm not sure because the colors do not match. Can someone confirm or deny this?

The fourth pic, I'm just wondering what the heck it is.

Thirdly, the colors on my PAMCO do not match the colors on the diagram. Coming off the PAMCO it is Red - Green - Black and on the diagram it is Red - Orange - Black - can I assume Black to Black, Red to Red and Green to Orange?

Here's the diagram I am using - View attachment 55040

Attachments

• IMG_20150831_180022.jpg
    IMG_20150831_180022.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20150831_180154.jpg
    IMG_20150831_180154.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_20150831_180233.jpg
    IMG_20150831_180233.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20150831_180327.jpg
    IMG_20150831_180327.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20150831_180435.jpg
    IMG_20150831_180435.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 276
The first mistake you did was cut the wires. The way to do it was hook up your parts to the plugs and cut back the harness and you would have ended up with the correct connections. To make this as easy as possible for you I would just buy the TC BROTHERS wires for your year bike and then its just a couple wires to hook up and the rest just plug in. I have seen too many guys do what you just did and the bike doesn't charge. I think you bought one of my wire kits and if you get the TC BROTHERS wires you only then just have to add switches. If you are in over your head I do offer a upgrade to my harnesses and you send back the harness kit and for $65.00 I send you a complete harness with all the switches and TC BROTHERS kit too. My $55.00 harnesses kits are for guys who can finish up on there own and sometimes the wires are just too much for some guys so your not alone . LOL
TC BROTHERS KITS GO BY THE YEAR OF BIKE

Attachments

• tcb8.jpg
    tcb8.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 274
  • TCB6.jpg
    TCB6.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 267
The first mistake you did was cut the wires. The way to do it was hook up your parts to the plugs and cut back the harness and you would have ended up with the correct connections. To make this as easy as possible for you I would just buy the TC BROTHERS wires for your year bike and then its just a couple wires to hook up and the rest just plug in. I have seen too many guys do what you just did and the bike doesn't charge. I think you bought one of my wire kits and if you get the TC BROTHERS wires you only then just have to add switches. If you are in over your head I do offer a upgrade to my harnesses and you send back the harness kit and for $65.00 I send you a complete harness with all the switches and TC BROTHERS kit too. My $55.00 harnesses kits are for guys who can finish up on there own and sometimes the wires are just too much for some guys so your not alone . LOL
TC BROTHERS KITS GO BY THE YEAR OF BIKE
Well, since the harness was shot, I seen no issues cutting it. Lessons learned I guess.

I can order additional harness kits, that's no issue. The kit that TC Bros. offers seems like it might be the wrong kit, I *believe* I have a combined regulator/rectifier. It's a 1978. I'll go dig around in my big 'ole box of parts and see if there's a separate regulator in there somewhere. Here's the kit TC Bros. offers, http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/1970-79-yamaha-xs650-chopper-wiring-harness-points-ignition.html

I appreciate your offer to wire it all up, but I'll handle it myself. I'd like to learn all this stuff first hand. Thanks though!

I've been doing some research and I think I may not have the correct parts. My dad is the PO, so I'll talk to him as well. As far as I can tell, I should have a separate rectifier / regulator, not a combo rec/reg. Does that sound right? Here is what I have right now
PWv2Rd3AVCKney3qIbu2O8DwAfVjz1EZfE4-=w1612-h911-no.jpg

OH ok so you had a points bike and upgraded to PAMCO and new one piece REG/REC . Did you have to use Nylon screws too or not.
Then the only wire you need then is from the Alternator to REG/REC 3 white wires 1 black I green 1 brown Yellow not used. So your good
This is what TC BROTHERS sell for that year but separate REG/REC

Attachments

• 108-0001.jpg
    108-0001.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 455
OH ok so you had a points bike and upgraded to PAMCO and new one piece REG/REC . Did you have to use Nylon screws too or not.
Then the only wire you need then is from the Alternator to REG/REC 3 white wires 1 black I green 1 brown Yellow not used. So your good
Thanks for always being so patient, haha.

Here's where I am right now -

I was given the bike by my dad after it sat in a shed for about 5 years. The stock wiring harness had lots of breaks in it, looks like it may have been being munched on by rats. So I just pulled it all off and decided to start from scratch. I tried getting it running with the old points, but even after cleaning, they refused to work correctly.

I installed a PAMCO and a single dual output coil as per the PAMCO directions. I did not get the e-advancer nor did I replace the mechanical advancer as it seemed loose enough to operate.

I know of the mod you are talking about, I've seen Pete talk about using a Chrysler regulator, but I have not done it.

That regulator/rectifier was put on by my dad when he was working on the bike. I'm confused as to how to proceed. I'm confident that the chopper harness's that TC Bros. sells will not work in my case.

Well here is the easy way to go. Since you have the Pamco I would just upgrade my Alternator to a newer one like a 1980 and that way you don't have to play with nylon screws if you had to. A 1980 or newer alternator and a single REG/Rec work well and its just a change no upgrade .Pull old one off put new one on and sell the old one. Now the plates are correct for charging with the single REG/REC. Later down the line once you get better at doing some work and understanding it I would upgrade to a PMA.
If I get a bike from 1978 and down that is what I do Use the PAMCO or BOYER and just upgrade my REG/REC and ALTERNATOR and done.
There are some good threads on here that explain the difference of the years and the way the plates for the brushes are setup . You should read them the more knowledge you have of the stock bike the better you will get and there are plenty of guys on here like me that could explain if you get stuck.
You can always get me at DADDYGCYCLES@YAHOO.COM
Your doing fine
Rich

Thanks again for all your help!

Whats the other option other than getting a alternator? i know that lots of people have done a PAMCO upgrade on my year or older bikes and it was more or less a bolt on and go situation. I understand that my wiring harness is gone, but I have all the components. Why can't I just wire it all back up with the harness I got form you? I also have the wiring kit from BCP Garage - http://www.bcpgarage.com/product/20ft-diy-custom-wiring-harness-kit

I thought that with your harness and that kit, I'd be able to wire it all back up correctly. I was a mechanic for many years, so I understand the act of wiring, I just need to understand the how of wiring these XS's.

Looks like an alternator is almost $200. I could just go with a PMA if I'm going to spend that much.

I'd rather not spend the cash if I can get what I have working though, I'm deep into this thing as it is.

Going over it again, where is the brown wire? In my first pic in my first post, there's not a brown wire.

You can use my harness kit and it gets you all the lights horn brake switch and wires for the PAMCO. You would just have to add LIGHT SWITCH HORN SWITCH BRAKE SWITCH to complete plus some sort of fuse box. I would not buy a new alternator buy a good used one off of someone on here. DIRTY DOG may have one.
Your setup does not have the brown wire I think those years its blue.

pickleslice,

The PAMCO will work with whatever alternator you choose. There is no relationship between the PAMCO and the alternator. Two separate circuits.

pickleslice,

The PAMCO will work with whatever alternator you choose. There is no relationship between the PAMCO and the alternator. Two separate circuits.
Hi Pete, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I was asking about the pamco on my first post because the colors are different than the wiring diagram that I've seen. I just want to be sure I set it up correctly.

That said, I'm still mostly confused on how to get my setup wired up [emoji53]

Last edited:
Dude you are making this harder than it is. That is not what you have and picture above shows yours different and diagram shows you how to hook it up BLACK IS GROUND ALWAYS GROUND. You put 12 volts to black and boom you fry parts RED is always HOT 12 VOLTS and BLACK is always ground.
Here is a picture of what you have its from a early harness 6 pin on both side
BLACK GROUND
3 WHITEs from ALTERNATOR to REG/REC
BLUE is NEUTRAL SWITCH
GREEN IS FROM THE BRUSH
RED is HOT 12 VOLTS to BATTERY
That's it not hard FOLLOW diagram

Attachments

• IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 273
I have been following the diagram, and the colors do not match, which is why I am doing research before I actually wire it up. I'm not sure where the attitude is coming from, I'm attempting to be as thorough with all the information that I can...

If you'll recall my OP, the wires going INTO my reg/rec DO NOT MATCH the colors of the wires coming out of the alternator. I have four whites coming out of my re/rec and that is what is throwing me off. What you just posted, which I appreciate, does not match the equipment that I have.

:EDIT:

It dawned on me that I totally forgot about another connector that I had in my big box 'o crap. It looks like I have the wrong one in my reg/rec this whole time and that is what is throwing me off. Now the diagram makes sense and your drawing makes perfect sense.

M_WF22fOAnDwuo9DmGbse15Vrjro5o1Yrngd_a5ln0MWgzJ02uar76U-09I5IKscaH4OLgA_oVwvFvKpVrnUPBXC9b7uRFHCX7Y8CG6V1ukBCxhXDdfmTaHku3R-LYIOAhp5s3G0ya5_r6jhDUBQOsSIn62kKgD62BZrYoNZSbpjU22oxdViB2jNirQd2EpYelTVnlPZoR9FywR6OzvurumpP4ev-Xef4ILDAxdiqPEus63KfXYw9F_XwRHGUEfuNL4VA7Eeu-CW0wq7_mCdJs59AdJr6gw98aqNA_zNIFv5ATpu2xEj_V9H7P22z8_irxpkaDFPA2lJGNlc1zfoBM6BKG_ZnCJ3C2JgH8V0iTElRGfAkiqnJ-17nNXH_KGVX4og6CjUsYkxbAKDQGhVF_PQFJkHJwuXlz1OZxjClpsuA2cBvS7TQaZW3sFQ4PUg_RtZ_iy7J1A1Um8PhkZVXC7coxf9SZNlXpskHScEfER0Vfoy4nIyG5LxQaM4n_p5ry8iaRoJgTvnd30kvYDWUk5R=w1689-h955-no

Because you have mis matched stuff that's why I told you to upgrade to newer ALT.
Here are two diagrams with your colors. You bike was a points bike and you upgraded to pamco but that doesn't change the charging system
LOOK GOOD AT BOTH OF THESE DIAGRAMS
First is what you need to do correct colors and second was what your bike had Separate REG and REC
AND it says NYLON SCREWS
It would be so much easier to just buy a used 1980 ALTERNATOR which has all the correct wires for the on piece REG/REC

Attachments

• dg1977.jpg
    dg1977.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 2,366
  • 1977.jpg
    1977.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,035
Because you have mis matched stuff that's why I told you to upgrade to newer ALT.
Here are two diagrams with your colors. You bike was a points bike and you upgraded to pamco but that doesn't change the charging system
LOOK GOOD AT BOTH OF THESE DIAGRAMS
First is what you need to do correct colors and second was what your bike had Separate REG and REC
AND it says NYLON SCREWS
It would be so much easier to just buy a used 1980 ALTERNATOR which has all the correct wires for the on piece REG/REC
What I have is what was on the bike. It was running before I owned it with the combo reg/rec, on the stock harness. That's why it confuses me that now I have to get a different alternator.

With that said, I'll see if I can track down an '80+ alternator.

Back