A little guessing game. What year is this head?

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Have a look then tell me what year this head is from.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10135-1968-...ash=item236b3f863a:g:NM8AAOSwzJ5XWklK&vxp=mtr

What were the tells for ya?

It is a shame the sellers are splitting the heads and rocker covers. :banghead:
The seller only lists the head and the cylinders with pistons in separate auctions.

I've been on the look out cause I think they're sexy but I'll let this one pass.

*OK some of youse are going to know please sit on your thumbs for a day, give the newer members a chance to think bout it before answering*

Looking closely at the listing's pics, it appears that one of the spark plug holes may be stripped.
But, the fins look to be in good shape.

I'll let you know how it checks out when it gets here.

Let the guessing continue...

Did you ask about the rest?
Here is to hoping your hole isn't unthreaded.

Since nobody is asking whats so special.
The big tell right off the git go is the vacuum barbs in the bottom of the head (post #2).
The Ohh Ahh sexy is it was pre-starter days. The single exhaust bolt for the left exhaust says you get 4 triangles, not 3 and a junk hunk square. Someday. . . .I'll find one complete with the cover and cam. Then I'll B soo :bike:

No, I didn't ask. Simply put in a bid, went back to clanking about in the barn. Honestly thought it would be outbid, kinda forgot about it, until the eBay notification dinged "YOU SUCKER!"

Those intake manifold spigots are for the balance tube.
Another big tell is the absense of that headgasket peripheral groove around the chambers.

The tells for the earlier one are the slightly thinner fins and sound dampers between the fins...

The head arrived. The good news: All the fins are intact, valves look to be low-time, ports untouched, and the sparkplug threads are good!

The bad: There's a strange casting void above the left sparkplug hole. Just a blemish, not critical, I may try to fill it. Also, someone went neanderthal on the rear gasket surface, apparently trying to separate the head from the cylinder. It'll cleanup okay, tho'...

XS1B-eBay-Head01.jpg
XS1B-eBay-Head02.jpg

Back