a little help please

tfe1870

old650
Reaction score
i am working on 1982 xs650 with 2,600 miles showing. rode about 20 miles and was running perfect when it started loseing power and backfiring thru carbs and exh. made it back home and it would start and run up to about 2000rpm. i changed coil and wires, spark plugs, ignition box, pickup, cleaned all connections, including the connections inside the headlite pod, including switch. had carbs off twice and nothing has helped.checked valve clearance, ran compression check replaced rotor.still starts and runs fine up to 2000rpm. any suggestions what to try next?

battery is new and is charging at 13.5 volts ithink it would charge higher if i could get rpm's up. connections are shiny clean. thanks

Tfe1870, do a forum search on "Rare earth magnet".

I used to keep my airplanes hangared at 1K1 (Benton, ks). But that was 30 years ago. I see that the pilot hut has been upgraded to a full-blown restaurant...

Plural? Are you like Kermit Weeks with inherited oil wells?

Many have glued on without probs but a guy recently couldn't keep a magnet on... not sure what was up with that. I'd be looking for a high strength not quick set epoxy and roughing the attach point on the rotor. Confirm that it clears everything on the stator by at least a bit. Crank ends are a bit "dynamic" on our old mills.

switched rotors and seems to run and charge fine. was suprised that strength between old rotor and new was almost unnoticable. i will find magnet and replace old one. had an old rotor and played with drilling out old magnet so i think that will work.

switched rotors and seems to run and charge fine. was suprised that strength between old rotor and new was almost unnoticable. i will find magnet and replace old one. had an old rotor and played with drilling out old magnet so i think that will work.
There are some surprisingly strong magnets available. I wonder if just having one of those in contact with the old magnet for awhile would recharge it.

Back