1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

A long, long project.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toglhot, Jun 20, 2020.

1. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    This will be a very long project: I have psoriatic arthritis which affects my fingers, hands arms and so on, so I can never ride a bike again. My enjoyment comes from building stuff, even though it takes a hundred times longer to do anything, I still manage in my workshop. I can't manage hammers, screwdrivers and those sort of tools very well, and using them causes a lot of pain, so everything takes such a long time to do now.

I bought an XS650 a while back, it was in terrible shape: Every nut and bolt was rusted, aluminium was badly oxidises and the upper engine case had chain damage, tearing the shifter drum bearing housing off.
    I bought new, second hand cases, punched the original number on , bead blasted everything, rebored the barrel, bought new pistons, rings, gudgeons, cam chain, gaskets, seals and quite a few other bits and pieces, had the oil tube, points covers, head nuts re chromed, polished the sidecovers, tappet covers, breather box, dipstick, cam chain adjuster and carb tops and bottoms.

The cases, barrel, head and rocker cover were painted silver and the motor re assembled. The motor started up with the first push of the button and I synchronised the carbs using my homemade manometer. Unfortunately, I found it rather drab looking, so I tore it down again, blasted the paint off, re painted it black, re assembled it and started it up again, first push of the button and with the short pipes it certainly made a racket. The new timing light I bought has proved troublesome: It doesn't flash and the cuts running for some reason, so I'm stuck with static timing until I can find the problem.

Whilst waiting for parts, I de spoked the wheels, the spokes were totally stuffed so they went in the bin. I ground the rim edges to smooth off the tyre lever damage, then polished them. The hubs were mounted on my lathe and trued up before polishing. I also polished the lower sliders, brake backing plate, top triple tree and brake hose mount. The switchgear was blasted clean, re wired and polished.

I also removed frame tabs for sidecovers and seat, welded new sidecover tabs on and beat up some aluminium sidecovers and polished them to see how they look, probably paint them later as it looks a bit much. A new battery carrier, made from 3mm aluminium, was bent up, along with new rubber mounted carriers.

Today I've been working on new 10 mm thick aluminium engine brackets which I've polished and bought some new stainless fasteners which I've also polished. Next job is the seat base. I have some 1.2mm sheet which I'll beat into shape. Once done I'll then blast the frame, paint it and fit the motor.

I do all work myself: Spannering, paint, upholstery, polishing, tin work, etc. The only thing I can't do is chroming and sand blasting the frame.

Attached Files:

resto, Grimly, Smuggy and 17 others like this.
  2. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Couple of videos of the first startup and one of the manometer I made in use.

thuban, Rasputin, Smuggy and 10 others like this.
  3. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That is some very impressive work you’re doing there! It’s great that you are not letting your health challenges get in the way of your interests. The switch gear restoration was some very nice work, I’m also intrigued by your homemade manometer, I’ve never seen a design like that. I have one also but it is made out of clear vinyl tubing with transmission fluid in it. It works but can be quite jittery, yours is so smooth and stable, I’m assuming that is due to the larger diameter tubes and larger volumes of fluid in them. Very nice!

thuban, Boog, gggGary and 4 others like this.
  4. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

Some of the nicest looking parts and work lately! Far nicer than my own work.
    Congratulations on your persistence to perfection !
    Thanks for the update :cool:

thuban, Smuggy, Boog and 7 others like this.
  5. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Large reservoirs work well, manometers, need a fair amount of fluid and a small restrictor in the lines, below 1 mm. Water works well because it doesn't hold bubbles, just make sure it can't reach the outlet when all the water is in one tube.

6. bikefreakjon

bikefreakjon XS650 Addict

Idaho
    That's looking good!

Bewarethemoon and gggGary like this.
  7. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Today's effort: Made up some nice bulky looking engine brackets and polished them along with some stainless bolts and nuts. Also cut up a shape for the seat base, tomorrow I'll do a bit of hammer work on it.

Attached Files:

8. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

:bow:That is amazing work toglhot :bow2: Thanks for sharing!
    Makes me ashamed of my hammer and tongs methods....:redface:

Greyandridin, Boog and Bewarethemoon like this.
  9. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie

Idaho
    Very nice!

Bewarethemoon likes this.
  10. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    I fabricated a seat base with a rear cowl, dIdn't like it as the cowl didn't match the angle of the tank WIN_20200703_16_31_19_Pro.jpg WIN_20200703_16_31_10_Pro.jpg WIN_20200703_16_31_19_Pro.jpg WIN_20200703_16_32_03_Pro.jpg , so I cut the rear cowl off, lowered the back and cut and welded the cowl back on. The cowl is now closer to the angle of the tank. Unfortunately the cowl proved to short, so I had to cut it down the middle and bend it to the new shape. That left a 3mm gap between the halves I had to fill. Worked out in the end, but the skirt at the rear sits a little higher than I would have liked.

Bewarethemoon, Mailman, Boog and 6 others like this.
  11. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide

Attached Files:

Bewarethemoon, Mailman, Boog and 2 others like this.
  12. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    A little panel beating today. Rear guard has been bashed in both sides sides, between the front and rear mounts. There were also multiple dents on the top of the guard around the tail light bracket. Unfortunately, some of the dents were over the top of the cross bracing ribs underneath so I couldn't get to them. The rolled edge had also been crimped and I couldn't get all the crimps out. All in all it came out not to bad. The guards will be painted so a little bog won't hurt. And I got to use the Delrin panel hammer I made yesterday. Compared to the front guard, the rear was in excellent condition. I'll give the front guard a shot, but not holding my breath for a resurrection.

Attached Files:

13. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Finally finished the seat off. Re did the front mounts for a neater look and angled the spigot and spigot seat so the seat clears the frame tubes. The rear mounts consist of a rubber grommet mounted in the seat cowl either side. I spun up two ally positive stop inserts which sit in the grommets and a 6mm bolt is inserted each side and screwed into the two tabs I welded to the frame.

Attached Files:

14. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

toglhot, nice work! I have been planning for several years to make a plastic, brass or copper hammer. Still not there yet. Out of interest, what will you prime the chrome fenders with prior to painting? I have heard that 2K Epoxy Primer is very good but have not personally tried it.

Thank you.

Bewarethemoon, YamadudeXS650C and Jim like this.
  15. Boog

Boog Traveling Stroyteller Top Contributor

@toglhot very impressive to me brother!

16. lakeview

lakeview XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Engine stand!!!
    Any superlative would be too modest!

17. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    The frame guards, tank, sidecovers and seatpan and seat cowl I intend painting with black acrylic laquer, undercoat will be etch primer followed by 3D primer. I chose this finish because of the ease to patch things up if damage.

gggGary, Jim, Bewarethemoon and 4 others like this.
  18. Scripto VU

Scripto VU Dukes Speed and Custom

usa.
    Amazing when you can see someone with a positive attitude and positive thinking. Everything seems be going smoothly from our end. I am sure your outlook helps you avoid changes in your mood easily leading to less stress. In addition, if you let your mind stay positive, it will make you stay and feel younger than you are ! (we all could use a little of that)

I have no doubt your paint job will turn out great !

gggGary, Jim, Bewarethemoon and 3 others like this.
  19. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Where there is a will there is a way. Great work. I’m impressed.

gggGary, Jim, Bewarethemoon and 2 others like this.
  20. SomervilleXS650

SomervilleXS650 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

@toglhot Engine and carbs are looking excellent and the polishing work on your aluminum is enviable!! Man....NICE job. :thumbsup::thumbsup: You're well on your way to a fantastic build and kudos on the perseverance to make it all happen through your arthritis.

gggGary, Jim, Bewarethemoon and 2 others like this.