1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

A long, long project.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toglhot, Jun 20, 2020.

1. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Just put the front hub together using sealed beartings, bead blasted the disk holder and drilled a few holes in the disk. Also put the rear hub together with sealed bearings. The Teles are also together, I removed all the casting marks from the sliders and polished them again, they look 100% better without the casting marks. Unfortunately I dropped the left side slider and damaged the seal surround, bugger! I'll try the aluminium brazing rods I have and see i f I can repair it. I'm thinking of doing away with the sidecovers and either making a polished aluminium battery carrier and making a feature of it, or I'll shorten the sidecovers at the front and attach brackets to the battery carrier for the sidecovers, that way I wont have to make splayed manifolds.
    All one handed, had the left hand index and second finger fused and the ring and pinky got new PIP joints. Not easy with just one hand all this work, but, this Yamaha is yelling at me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Boog, Jim, Goldenboy and 2 others like this.
  2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

You do high quality work, I admire your tenacity!

Jim, Goldenboy and Bewarethemoon like this.
  3. Bewarethemoon

Bewarethemoon XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hi Toglhot

Like Mailman I too admire your tenacity, you seem to have the skills to match!

I love the shape of the cowl you’ve made! I’m hoping to achieve something very similar, albeit with the front more vertical to match the back of the XS750 tank I’m using.

Excited to follow your progress!

Daniel.

Boog, Jim and Mailman like this.
  4. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Stitches out yesterday, all 30 of them. Still swollen, but actually used them a little today: Marvellous, pain is nothing like it used to be, I can actually bend them a little without grimacing. Still a way to go, exercises three times a day to improve range of motion which is very limited at the moment. They'll never be straight again, just a little deformed from all the damage, surgeon said the damage was extensive. Just need a new hip, a few new toes, new shoulders, new wrists, a couple of new elbows and new fingers on the right hand, not much really, huh?

Attached Files:

Boog, Jim, Mailman and 5 others like this.
  5. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Finished off the front hub: I drilled the disk with some lightning holes, installed new sealed bearings, polished the hub and because the left side cover that covers the disk mount holes was rusted, I fabbed a new aluminium one and polished that as well. Bought some stainless fasteners, polished them up and assembled the hub. I want to go with an electronic speedo, if I can find one, so the speedo drive on the left will probably go and I'll turn up a stainless spacer in it's place. For a bit of extra bling, I also polished the edge of the disk. Hub should look nice laced up to a polished ally rim with polished stainless spokes.

Attached Files:

Rasputin, Boog, Jim and 4 others like this.
  6. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Beautiful!

Jim likes this.
  7. Mailman

Wow! That looks really nice! I’ll send mine right over!
    A59D1115-2B52-4E5D-A04C-CD6E2D05740D.png

lakeview, Jim and gggGary like this.
  8. Bewarethemoon

Bewarethemoon XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Great work there, really look stunning!

Jim likes this.
  9. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    A nice new rotor arrived this morning. A trip out to wingfield in order to find a big lump of aluminium to make a mounting bracket from is in order now. Tell you what though, knock Chinese made products all you like, but both the stator and rotor are excellent quality. Compared to the original Japanese made ones from the 70s, these are superb. I suspect that the kit suppliers in America get theirs from China, for a lot less than I paid, get them to make a mount and sell the kit for $400.

Attached Files:

Boog likes this.
  10. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Finished off the stator mount for the PMA today. I bought a couple of slabs of aluminium, thickest I could get was 25mm, so I settled for that. That meant making a 10mm spacer. After waiting ages for the bandsaw to cut the slab down to a size that would fit in the four jaw I chucked the square slab and made it round, dished the underside to clear the crank bearing mount, bored a 60mm hole through the middle and drilled a couple of holes for mounting.

Next came the spacer: Turned down a 70mm round ally bar to fit inside the stator windings and turned down a couple of locators either side to locate the spacer under the stator and to locate the spacer inside the base, thus making sure the stator is mounted central. Drilled a few more holes and tapped them, then stuck it all together.

Drilling and tapping all these holes scratched the hell out of the ally, so I mounted spacer and base in the lathe again and used some emery to get rid of the marks.

Fits on the engine nicely, just have to file a woodruff down to match the 6mm keyway in the rotor to the 5mm keyway in the crank. After that, solder some terminals on the end of the stator leads, yeah I know, I'm a rebel.

Next job is to turn up a cam for the points. I'm going to convert the twin points system to a single, lots of messing around here trying to get the points firing at the correct intervals.

Attached Files:

Rasputin, TwoManyXS1Bs, Boog and 4 others like this.
  11. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Polished up the stator mount today, looks pretty, plus, lectrisity flow better over slippery surfaces, true!

Attached Files:

12. Boog

Boog Traveling Stroyteller Top Contributor

Something about following the path of least resistance I seem to remember.

Great work brother!

Mailman and Jim like this.
  13. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Modified the fork legs: Removed the lower mudguard mounts on both legs and the caliper mount on the left leg, ground everything down smooth and polished both legs. I also discarded the speedo drive and replaced it with a stainless bush and ally dust cover I spun up, pressed together and polished.

Attached Files:

14. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Resurrected the swingarm bearings today. The shaft was badly pitted so I turned it down .20mms to 21.8mm. The swingarm bushes were stuffed so I turned up two new ones from Delrin. When drilled, the hole in Delrin comes out slightly smaller than if it was drilled in steel. Unfortunately, not small enough, so the shaft and bushing fit was still a little too sloppy for my liking, so I turned the bushing outer diameter a little larger than an interference fit in the swingarm bushing hole and pushed the bush in place, this compressed the bushing material by .20mm taking the bushing bore down to around 21.8mm. Excellent fit. There's always more than one way to skin a cat!

Attached Files:

15. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Some painting today. Frame is still at the blasters, soon as I get it back, I'll paint that too. Undecided on tank, guards and side covers, probably black, perhaps with a little sparkle. Either that or metalic charcoal.

Attached Files:

Mailman, Jim and gggGary like this.
  16. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

In the second video the topset of points are arcing, maybe a new condenser needed. Great work, love the mannaometer.

Jim and gggGary like this.
  17. bosco659

bosco659 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Great work, can’t wait to see the finished product! Thanks for sharing your build. I’ll keep following this one!

Mailman, Jim and gggGary like this.
  18. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Some nice shiny triple trees. Couldn't get underneath the top triple tree for polishing so that's just a bead blast finish. Top had some difficult sections, but I managed to get in there with nylon fibre wheel and narrows mops. The large chrome washers under the handlebar mounts were rusted, so I spun up some aluminium ones and polished them. Lower triple tree had a rough cast finish, so I sanded the areas I could get to with the belt sander and nylon fibre wheel before painting.. Finally, I bought some stainless fasteners, cut them to length and polished them. When I find a magnetic sensor speedo I'll mount that on a polished aluminium plate and use the stock mounts. Triple trees look good so far. Picked up the frame from the sand blasters this afternoon and bogged up the rough areas, I filed most of the weld joints prior to blasting so that saved a lot of bog. Hard to know when to stop bogging on these Japanese frames, talk about rough. Paint day tomorrow, sand the bog down and apply a few coats of primer before I hit it with a top coat, then float coat it. I also removed the pins from the footrests, bead blasted everything, rammed a 16mm square bar down through the hollow pegs to straighten them, belt sanded the main bodies smooth, removed the casting joins and hit them with gloss black. Instead of Inserting pins, I polished up a couple of allen heads and fixed them with polished stainless nyloc nuts. Rubber peg mounts were buggered, so I bought a couple of rubber bungs from Clarkes. When I've finished the frame I'll shape the rubber bungs and insert them in the pegs.

Attached Files:

Mailman, Jim, GLJ and 2 others like this.
  19. Mailman

Hoo Wee! That’s some pretty work! I’m loving those triple trees. :geek: Do you live in Australia?

Jim likes this.
  20. bosco659

bosco659 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Beautiful. Great work... that bike’s gonna be a beauty!

Jim likes this.