1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

A long, long project.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toglhot, Jun 20, 2020.

1. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Yep, Adelaide.

Mailman and Jim like this.
  2. timbeck

timbeck XS650 Junkie XS650.com Supporter

Outstanding work and you are also a pretty tough guy as well......

tim

Jim likes this.
  3. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    No, not tough, just old. And worn out.

SomervilleXS650, timbeck and Jim like this.
  4. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    First colour coat on the frame today, I'll finish of with a final float coat tomorrow after scrubbing down. Managed to get the front down tubes pretty straight and smooth with a belt sander and bit of bog, but the area where the footpegs mount, what an abortionate mess, bits and pieces tacked on, welding looks like a five year old did it, folder marks all over it. What a bloody mess these frames are, bits and pieces tacked on everywhere, abysmal welding and fit. I'll have another go at flattening the area tomorrow. This abysmal frame is going to ruin this build.

Attached Files:

SomervilleXS650 likes this.
  5. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Looks a bit better with some paint on it. Have to slip the motor in now so I can knock up some exhausts. Should look - black!

Attached Files:

TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman, Grimly and 3 others like this.
  6. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    Managed to get the motor in without scratching the frame, now I can fabricate an exhaust and a few other bits and pieces. What a struggle though, I'm sure the Japanese have some sort of robotic device that installs the motor, but surely they realise at some stage the motor may have to be removed and not everybody has access to a a robot, what a stupid design. Next problem is to get it up onto the bench, then after that I'll have to remove the motor again at some stage to fix a leak at the bottom of the barrel. Getting the motor In wasn't the only struggle, the Japs in their wisdom use 10mm bolts, but the holes into which they fit are nearly 11mm, put the two lower bolts in place then you have to jiggle the motor around to get the upper bolts through the upper mounts. Probably easy for an able bodied person, unfortunately, RA has robbed me of my strength and much of the use of my hands, had to get the wife to help. I did make a stand to sit the frame on utilising the centre stand mounts, works well stopping the frame from wobbling around.

Attached Files:

TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman, Jim and 4 others like this.
  7. SomervilleXS650

SomervilleXS650 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

That looks SO good!!! :cheers:

Jim and gggGary like this.
  8. bosco659

bosco659 XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter

Very nice. I like how you protected the frame. I’ve never lifted my engine yet. How much do they weigh? Congrats on your build so far.

Jim, timbeck and gggGary like this.
  9. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    No idea how much the engine weighs, but last time I lifted the engine alone onto the bench I rigged up one pulley on the motor and two on the roof rafter, then stood on a loop in the rope looped through the pulleys, my weight of 85kgs easily lifted the motor to bench height for the wife to swing it across onto the bench. Tried the same with the motor in the frame, my weight was enough to lift it, but wasn't too sure the ropes would hold so gave that idea away and started stacking some bricks adding one at a time each end. I'm to about 600mm high as I write. I'll enlist the wife's help before I go any higher.

Mailman, gggGary and Jim like this.
  10. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hope you're cinching that rope as you go....
    Most put the motors at about 160 lbs, that's 4000 Canadian at current exchange rates :geek:
    I weighed a bare frame at 47 lbs.

11. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

About 160-175lbs (80kg) give or take...
    Do be careful Togl... :)

Mailman and gggGary like this.
  12. bosco659

That’s pretty heavy for one person in a confined space. You’ve got the calculation right at today’s exchange rates. But how many stone is it for our UK audience?

buzzword, gggGary and Jim like this.
  13. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Granite... or sandstone? :sneaky:

14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Terrific progress you’re making and your work is so clean and well ordered! Very nice! For lifting the motor , when I did my build, I bought an inexpensive chain hoist online, I braced up my rafters and hung it from an eye hook about 5 feet in front of my bench. The chain hoist easily lifts the motor, then I simply slid my work bench under it, set the motor down and slid the bench back into place against the wall.
    0E399D58-620F-46F0-A848-6D74ECA167F5.jpeg FC12FA64-DF01-4199-96D0-4C9B66A055B8.jpeg 6F1F900A-AAB8-4249-B6B1-14CE9D3BDAB3.jpeg 958848D8-1AB8-4D1A-BA7E-57983D86C872.jpeg E3DCB020-3E92-4037-847A-E8970CE9E5C2.jpeg

15. Jim

:laughing:

bob.png

16. bosco659

Nice tidy shop MM. wish my garage was that clean.

Mailman, Jim and gggGary like this.
  17. bosco659

Quick Google search says that’s about 11.8 stone.

gggGary likes this.
  18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That’s way I roll brother!
    754522F2-C76E-4CC8-9328-2493449A7341.jpeg

19. toglhot

toglhot XS650 Enthusiast

Adelaide
    A bit too crude for me Mailman, I used a more technologically advanced method: Around 90 paving stones stacked on top of each other. I lifted one end, While the wife slid a few paving stones in then lifted the other end so she could slide a few more pavers in at the other end. Lifted it up one paver height at a time until we got to the right height then slid it across onto the bench. Wife got a little worried at times, the higher we got, the more wobbly it got. But we got there in the end. Helps if the wife is a good sport. I welded a frame mount together from 32mm tube and fitted that first to save some paint and keep it from rocking around all over the place. It bolts onto the frame using the centre stand mounts. Now I can start on an exhaust.

Attached Files:

20. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

That is so fuc**ing dangerous...........sorry gotta say it............

when that goes down there will be 2 of you that cant help each other........