A long, long project.

No Sir Cool down a bit..
I am not telling you how it is in Australia ..
Nor am I trying to tell a man what to do.
If you are confident you have it sorted out fine .. But I felt it appropriate to tell. This is things I do know
via experience.

What I am telling you ( No disrespect ) is that the electrical system on an XS 650 has problems that can be
dangerous ... if the bike stops ... I have tested that over 35 Years and pushing / kicking / riding bus with the toolbox.
Pushing bike alongside the Highway in black leather gear in 30 Celsius.
Trying to find a place to sleep at night when the bike stalls.
Memorable adventures.
I believe the starter is something thrown on the bike with a to small battery for it.
So it may well be so that Option A is the kick starter and option B electric starter
The fact is that the factory experts did not remove the Kick Starter.

Á stalling bike is something one has to face as a possibility on a 40 -50 year old bike.
You cannot avoid that possibility the risk will be higher the older the machinery is.
You can reduce it via service and new wiring and so. Rebuilding But will still be higher.
Its your life .. If you are going to walk out of the bush being 70 year old . In 40 Celsius
You can be tough enough. Or not --- It is dangerous.
What can I do besides wondering why people wont consider experienced advice.

Everyone else is taking off the Electric starter
The factory did not take off the kick
You are the first one I have heard of only having the electric starter ...
Maybe it is working -- Maybe not.

Well, how about that, Jan-P pointed out what a dangerous place Australia is to ride a bike, so I looked it up: Imagine my surprise when I found out that Australia is home to five of the 10 most deadly snakes in the world. But wait there’s more: Australia is home to a number of extremely venomous spiders that make it on to the top ten, the Sydney Funnel-web and the Redback to name a couple. But wait, still there’s more, Australia is also home to saltwater crocodiles, they are apparently in great abundance across the North of Australia. These 5-6 metre monsters eat people apparently, quite a few over the years. I wonder if they sprinkle them with salt and vinegar first? Are you still waiting? Great, because there is more. Did you know we have a teddy bear that lives in gum trees. I never knew that. There is also a funny looking thing that jumps, rather than walks, and carries its babies in a special pouch at the front. Then there is also that thing that lives in Tasmania that makes terrifying, screaming noises and reputably has one of the strongest bites around. It’s a devil of a thing. And now we come to the water: Aside from sea snakes we also have the Irukandji jellyfish, only as big as your fingernail, but often fatal. Then there is the blue ring octopus, also sometimes fatal. And then there is the weather, Marble Bar for example regularly reaches over 49 degrees in our summer months. What about water? Well a scarce commodity in Australia apparently, as Australia is considered the driest continent on earth after antarctica, 2/3 of it being arid, a drink, a drink, my bike for a drink! Australia is also the least populated continent on earth, also after Antarctica. Imagine that, all this and more I never knew. In my 70 years I’ve been to marble bar, never broke a sweat. Lived a lot of my life across the top of Australia, saw lots of snakes and crocodiles and irukandjis, picked them up and gave them a cuddle, if only I had known? I lived in Sydney for years, had I known the funnel-web also lived there, I would have left pronto. I’ve sat on lots of toilet seats in my time too, had I known the redback lived in these places, I never would have relieved myself – ever. I must take this opportunity to thank Jan-P for pointing out what a dangerous place Australia is to live, much less ride. I’ve booked my flight out, heading to Afghanistan. I wonder how much XS650s are over there? Oh well, it has to be safer than living and riding here in Australia. Thank you once again Jan-P!
A man must do what a man must do! Two Aussies having a ding dong.. Hilarious:boxing:
Any advise is good advise, and should be taken a such; or can be ignored as you wish.
I really have enjoyed your build so far Toglhot so keep up the good work.

Fwiw, I've read @Jan_P 's comment several times now and I just don't see what you're seeing. When you factor in that English isn't Jan's first language and he sometimes butchers the syntax... all I see is him saying that he wouldn't remove the kicker and then giving his reasons why.
It was advice given to follow or ignore as you see fit... but I don't think there's any more to it than that.

Last edited:
Fwiw, I've read Jan's comment several times now and I just don't see what you're seeing. When you factor in that English isn't Jan's first language and he sometimes butchers the syntax... all I see is him saying that he wouldn't remover the kicker and then giving his reasons why.
I don't think there's any more to it than that.
I concur Jim; any advise given on this is welcome.
We are all trying to help each other, to keep our bikes safely on the road; and enjoy the ride.

toglhot
Please continue to take up that old keyboard and keep posting, as we all eagerly await the next post and enjoy following along in your journey (labor) of love.

Too late Gary. He's just deleted all his comments... save the first and last. :shrug:
Perhaps if he was going to take offense at advice offered, he should have stated so in his first comment. 'Cause you know... that's pretty much what this lot here does... offer advice.

Seriously why did he go all nuclear. Sulking about something he misread as someone saying some thing he took offense to. Bit of a sook if you didn't praise his work regulary.

Did some outstanding work.........also did some very dangerous things........I lost interest when he had his wife maneuver/slid the engine from a stack of bricks onto the bench and he got huffy when i pointed out how dangerous it was

Last checked the thread out at 1.06 pm.....bosco posted at 12.45.....if he is going to leave why keep checking in. removed your posts, just go

if he is going to leave why keep checking in.
Because he's going "super nuclear." :rolleyes: He's deleted his posts in the lathe thread also. I suspect he'll pull the plug on everything when he's done. That's whole 'nother level of gettin' mad and takin' your ball home. :doh:

Delete it as those who have read it have learnt from it.
Those who have not need not know.

Aaeehhh everybody calm down mr Toglhot being a senior talented experienced man
Upset about input perhaps ..ending in defensive mode.
Haven't we all seen that in life
I know that is sensitive .and one perhaps should avoid it .But on the other hand It is much better to get info of
a kind that can save time -- money --problems and even the life ...the sooner the better.

Principal rule in Democracy. Should be able to take that ... in ...design situations or artistic situations.
Its not a personal attack.
I dont remember how big deal it is to install the kick mechanism afterwards .But the starter is a complete tear down
Engine out.
Gaskets only run into the more or less 3 digits in US $
It was no bad intent ..

After a while Mr Toglhot will be back
Jokingly --- When his battery is flat in the garage and the bike has not started.
saying the words that don't look good in writing .
XS650 .s don't start directly after rebuild. Most cases.
Water under the bridge ..
If i loose friends telling them the truth. When I see them heading for problems
In a subject I know about after 35 -50 years
No Biggie -- I can try find other friends.

Guess I feel that what toglhot is doing with the limitations he is working through is nothing short of amazing.
If you hadn't taken the time and effort to understand the scope and motivation for his project just STFU might have been in order.

Back