A Question about aftermarket electronic ignitions

There is also the Tytronic setup. Another system I own but have not used yet. Gary has used and installed a few. One was defective but unsure of the long term reports on the updated replacement. It's not really a full electronic ignition though, if I understand correctly its rather an electronic trigger to replace the points.

I’m going to be beside myself if this doesn’t cure the problem!

Perhaps can gently raise the question where to install it
I have my box above the cylinder head .. and the Coil in front as Mr gggGary has in the picture
previous post .
But it might not be acceptable in an Mint condition bike.
I don't remember why I put it there ,,can be lack of space

Can be a bit hot to have the coils above the cylinder head ...Speaking stop and go Arizona city summer .
riding The pamco can also have taken a hit there who knows.
Perhaps an extra cooling device and check on the charging values is worth mentioning as a suggestion
Boyer has a support that does respond

I’ve wondered this before, when looking at aftermarket electronic ignitions and just recently again when I was shopping for my Boyer ignition. The British bike aftermarket has more choices in ignitions, but why?
Why won’t an ignition unit made for a Norton or BSA or Triumph twin work exactly the same way on our Yamaha twins or any Japanese twin. I know there must be something that differentiate all these models but what is it?
The Blue box and pickup components for the British twins and triple are the same as for the XS650. It's just the mounting plate for the pickups that is different.

And that’s the big thing with me, I want my bike to look original, without components exposed.
Aww. Come on now! Your XS-2 would look bitchin' with a magneto sticking out of one side and a single carburetor sticking out the other!

123134709_2756713507903467_2804702238029296175_n.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-28_14-34-52.jpeg
    upload_2021-9-28_14-34-52.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Aww. Come on now! Your XS-2 would look bitchin' with a magneto sticking out of one side and a single carburetor sticking out the other!

123134709_2756713507903467_2804702238029296175_n.jpg
Say what you will about that bike, but it made a 1,000 mile trip to Barber Ala and back to Tampa Fla without any major problems.

I know the old mechanical advance on these gets a bad rap but I've never had any issues with the one on my '78. Yes, it is showing some wear but I keep it well lubed and it doesn't seem to have progressed any further.

Mr 5 T as always have a point there
I went to Boyer because I had problems getting it to retard have had 2 different Boyer
on 2 different bikes
But if stock mint is the aim .Serviced points and advance unit and bushing can be an option.
In them days I did not even know about the need for lubricating the cam bushing
Mine was worn but I believe it ran better at the top end.
The stalling at the Red lights made me go to Boyer

Say what you will about that bike, but it made a 1,000 mile trip to Barber Ala and back to Tampa Fla without any major problems.
I saw the bike at Barber and I met Josh. I also know the painter (Moe Colors). Yes, that XS650 did make a very long trip without drama.
However, it does have stuff hanging off it that Bob doesn't want on his bike, so I took the opportunity to post a picture of the Shadetree Surgeon 650. Nothing derogatory intended toward that chopper. As choppers go, it's a winner. At Barber it was proudly displayed at the Dime City space.

I did ditch my points in favor of a Pamco but it's a very early one, before Pete even came out with the electronic advance version, so I needed to retain my advance unit. Those poor old things, one of the most sadly neglected parts on these bikes. The first time I tore into mine, I found the bushings in the cam bone dry, lol.

To the original point. Those British bikes are now in the hands of high dollar collectors (and riders)
When a guys dropping 15K and up into a restoration/restomod. a couple hunert on an iggy is chump change.
The XS650 crowd howls and rub the pennies in their pocket before forking over that much for bike that might fetch $3500. .
Have never installed the replacement tytronics. WJL went right back to points and has been running fine for 3-4000 miles.
The iggy wires on the Norton when I removed the points.
20200707_144900.jpg

The bike was still running "fine".
Sadly I bailed on the Commando, just needed more from me than I was willing to give.:(

I found it amazing how many electronic ignitions were available for my BSA/Triumph triple that were still being made. There were only 23,000 triples made. How many XS650 were made?
I went with a Boyer for the X-75. Have had good luck with them on my XS2.

Back