?? About Oil Drain Gaskets

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The OEM oil drain gaskets are copper crushable type. I have been annealing and reusing them over and over. Since I now have oil pan mess and leaks, I’m having some doubts about the practice. I have at least one I just installed that may be suspect.

I am considering whether the MikesXS copper flat washers might be a better option for reusable gaskets. I put them in someone else’s 650 and I was less than impressed with the sloppy fit. I have heard nothing of that machine leaking. Replacement of the crushable ones at every oil change would make for considerable expense. They cost more than the oil. So, maybe the Mikes gaskets are a better choice?

Maybe one of you has a better idea?

I’ve been thinking about this also. I’m running two different types, the copper crush washers on my ‘77 and the hard red fibre ( ? ) washers that came with my Athena gasket kit on my XS2. I like the reusable fibre washers.
I’m thinking I might be able to find a hard fibre washer at my local hardware store. Might be worth a try?

My XS1100 has aluminum crush washers top and bottom on the gear boxes. I did replace those with fiber washers from my local hardware back in Georgia. They are precise fit. The engine drain has a thick copper washer that is precise fit from the same source. Great options, but I’m yet to find it near my new home.

Over the past 6 years I've used the copper crush washers from Mikes, aircraftspruce, and other sources.
They ALL weeped a little oil.
The Athena washers seemed best, weeping just a tad.
I like Azman's idea of using a bit of sealant on the threads; havent thought of that, before !

However, the '82 Heritage Special I picked up recently had aluminum washers installed. The drains were bone dry when I dumped the oil,
and are bone dry after the oil change.
Anyone know where to source them?

I have had some weeping in the past also. You need to make sure they are centered on the sealing area of the bolt. Most of the ones that have weeped were off center. But aluminum washers would be best if you can find them.

Check out these. I believe 1 1/4 will work. Buy 10 at a time for about $1.00 each, when shipped by 1st class mail
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/AN900-20.php

I found the following comment at that link:

These crush washers are perfect for my application oil drain plug washers for a 1975 Yamaha 650 motorcycle Parts are hard to find for these bikes and these are an exact fit !!

Mike
April 8, 2019

:bike:

My last oil change I installed the mikes oil drain plug washers and have had no issues with leaking. I was a bit concerned at first because the size of the washer.

Back