About to paint my engine; any advice, links, or tips would be appreciated

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Pulling the engine today, I want to paint it flat black and polish the fins. I want the speedmaster look.

Triumph%2520Speedmaster%2520Engine.jpg

I am planning on hanging the engine from a secure hook, it used to hold a punching bag, in my garage with a chain. Then I will erect my spray booth around it. I am debating if I should use the rattlecan ceramic engine paint or if I should break out the spray gun and do it with real paint. I have no idea what kind of paint to use if I do decide to go the spray gun route. Anyways any tips or advice or even a link to someone with a writeup on this would be wicked helpful. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Havent done it yet myself but have heard that ceramic paints actually hold heat in, have also heard that paint for a BBQ works well (would definitly stand up to the heat) But I am quite interested in hearing what others say cause if we keep getting this much frikin snow up here I will have more than enough time for painting!

Well, if you willing to use real paint, I highly recommend PPG DP90 epoxy. It's a 2 part primer that stands up to everything and has a nice matte finish.

Attachments

• rsz engine.jpg
    rsz engine.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 556
Definately stay away from BBQ paint. It shows every scuff, bump and stain. Plus rubs off easy. The 2 part catalized paint is the best. Tecks suggestion is best. If you can find a product called SprayMax it comes as a 2 part paint in a spray can. When activated it is the same as an auto ap but less trouble. Once cured it is fuel proof. Most every engine black I tried rubbed off with a rag wet with gas. That puts your work at risk should your carbs puke or you get drips while servicing hoses or filters. The only spray can black that was awesome resisting fuel was ACE hardware satin black in the big can. It went on great and once dried a few days stood up to the wet gas rag test. I have not done a long term test on heat resistance but I did spray an area near the exhaust port on one motor and havn't seen any problems?

If you want the poilshed fins edges do all your polishing before the paint. I used a flat file and sandpaper to get a nice square edge and smooth surface. Once you spray the motor take a rag wet with acetone and wipe down the fresh paint off the edges. The polished fins pop right through.

XSGTbuild00062.jpg

Last edited:
I use Duplicor rattle can low gloss black and hand file the edges of the fins. Easy, looks goo, holds up very well. They also have a semi gloss version.

IMG_1887-1.jpg

Back