About to purchase PAMCO ignition, but first, need some insight.

Pattymatts

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What's up guys. I have a chopped, kickstart only, 81', and I'm pretty sure the ignition is kaput. About a month ago I was about to go for a ride but it wouldn't start. I kicked it for about 45 minutes until my battery finally died and no joy. Buddy came over, tried push starting, still nothing. Was pissed off and in one last valiant effort to kick it, it fired right up. I was in shock so I stood there mouth open and puzzled for about 30 seconds, then I blipped the throttle and, as if someone hit the kill switch, just died. Would not start up after that. Pulled the carbs, they seemed fine, plus they were recently rebuilt. Finally got around to do some wiring troubleshooting today, now I'm no wiring expert, but all the results just didn't add up. Wasn't getting voltage to the plugs, the secondary winding was open (unless I was reading it wrong) and it seemed like something was shorted to ground but I couldn't find any exposed wires that would short out. Also, since my battery was dead for so long I purchased a new one. I grounded the plugs, kicked it just to see no spark, but when I flipped off my switch it sparked, did it every time. I found that really odd because I've never heard of that nor seen that before. Is that normal?

Now, to my question. My bike has a stock ignition and I had it built when I was overseas. It has a TCbros 6pin harness on it (partnum. 108-0002), and I was going to purchase the 'Ultimate Pamco Electronic Ignition with E-Advancer/Ignition Coil Kit' from Mikesxs (partnum. 14-0907), now can I run that ignition with that harness or no? The reason I am going with the cam-driven is because I plan on swapping to a PMA in the near future, but funds are somewhat short at the moment. Give me some insight here fellas, if my logic is fucked please tell me, or if my choice in PAMCO isn't the best for my future plan then recommend me a different one. XS650 gurus please help.

Hi Pattymatts,
Murphy's law says you will find that your ignition failure was caused by an intermittent open connection but not until after you've bought the Pamco.

Fred,

That flew way over my head man. I know what murphy's law is, just don't get the part you said about after i've bought the pamco.

I think he is saying that the source of your ignition problem will be a VERY simple item, but you wont find it until after you have purchased and are about to install the new Pamco unit....at least that's the way it works for me.....

Fred,

That flew way over my head man. I know what murphy's law is, just don't get the part you said about after i've bought the pamco.

Hi Pattymatts,
I know I'm not being helpful and I'm sorry about the e-mumble.
Murphy sez:-
It's something simple that you could most likely fix for free.
But you won't find out what it is until after you've spent the money on a Pamco.

Hey, Pattymatts. Here's another one that flies over people's heads. Try using the forum's 'google custom search', upper left of the page, and type "rare earth magnet". Read through some of the threads, and see if they apply to your case...

Purchase a new battery. Ride your bike. In that order.

The ignition system is very dependent on battery voltage. If you battery is poor it may start difficult and run poorly if at all.

Posted via Mobile

Back