Absolute newbie trying to troubleshoot problem

goodjob_champ

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey all, im a newbie having issues with my xs650 and am in need of any tips on troubleshooting it. When 1st bought it was a 1 kick bike as time passed it got harder and harder to start now it wont start unless chokes on, itll periodically "cough" while idling, and now when riding it seems to ride fine up until 5th gear. In 5th the power seems to fluctuate and my rpms just kinda jump around. Sorry if this has been discussed already a point in the right direction and any help would be greatly appreciated. Can provide more info if needed. Thanks!

Hello Champ..
Welcome to the forum.
You have found the best place on the planet for all things xs650. There is a great tech section that I recommend you check out.
It may have some starting points for you.
There are some members here that know these bikes inside out. I am sure one of them will be along shortly. The forum loves pics and a lot of information can be gleamed from them by the eagle eyed membership. Give as much information as possible regarding your bike.
Year, model, any mods you are aware of.
Look forward to seeing your bike revived.

Welcome!

Year model, any modification from stock you're aware of, brief history of your ownership with maintenance, miles and any storage - all of that can be helpful.

1 kick; as in no electric start? How long does it have to stay on choke after started? What is the condition of the battery?

Hope to help....

Welcom Goodjob_champ.

There ar so many models between 1970 and 1983 with a lot of changes that it is imperative you tell the site as much information as possible before anyone can give definitive answers...........Could guess and play 20 questions till a solution is found but again it will be far quicker for you to tell us a much as possible so there is a base line to work from............Any work you may have done to the bike or changes from factory original parts or build.

If you don't know what model you have post pics and any Vin no's or ask if you don't know where they are on th bike and engine

Easy to point newbies to the tech menu but the menu can be confusing at times due to some information being scattered amongst several threads and unless a link is provided to specific information required, it is easy to get confused. Especially if you are new to bikes and working on them..........

Good idea to tell the site your capabilities. Some newbies get upset when members post basic information because they don't know the the OP's capability

Last edited:
Welcome. As time passed...? Weeks or years? As some will say, these old bike need some maintenance. That maintenance work is not hard, not expensive, but critical to keeping your pride and joy running well. As requested above, more info will help isolate your difficulties. Cheers.

First thoughts
A bit dirty carburetor ..I would consider some chemical in tank. ( Dont start to take it down yet as a newbie )
Fluctuating Rpm in 5 th I would guess slipping clutch and try to adjust.
Please provide mote info
Choke on start is normal.

Welcome!

Year model, any modification from stock you're aware of, brief history of your ownership with maintenance, miles and any storage - all of that can be helpful.

1 kick; as in no electric start? How long does it have to stay on choke after started? What is the condition of the battery?

Hope to help...
Thanks! I looked into the model identification thread and I believe it is a 76 judging fron the vin on paperwork. As far as mods go the previous owner had recently put on a mikesxs 750 kit, is running dual mikuni vm34s, and the bikes been chopped. It has no electric start and bike will stay on for about a minute or so but die out until its finally warmed up. The battery is about 4 months old and i just recently did its first oil change per PO's recommendation of 2000 miles because the 750 swap was still fresh. Appreciate the help 🙏

I will provide pictures of the bike later today if there is anything youd like a closer look at please let me know, appreciate the help guys:bow2:

Back