Accident post mortem

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
Last October my 78'SE was heavily rear ended by another bike. My buddy following me on a 3rd Generation Honda Magna failed to notice me slowing for a turn and hit me squarely in the rear tire with his front tire. Naturally this put us both down hard. The XS went down on its right side and suffered the typical damage, ie. tank, bars, mirrors, indicators, etc.

One thing though has me really puzzled. There is now a hole in the rear fender. It was punched through from below, passed up through the fender and heavily bent the seat pan before either passing on through or going back out the way it came in. The hole is about 3/4" in diameter. It looks like a piece of rebar was driven through from below but that didn't happen.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what could have done this?

roy

Attachments

• xs damage 006.jpg
    xs damage 006.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 350
  • xs damage 001.jpg
    xs damage 001.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 289
  • xs damage 003.jpg
    xs damage 003.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 298
Maybe a branch was pinned under the wheel when it went down, rear wheel forced it through the fender?

Your buddies 357 went off while he was sliding around, didn't you hear that loud bang....lol tim

Roy,

My guess is that the Honda ran up on top and wedged something under the seat that poked through the top of the fender. When the bikes fell to the pavement it plucked it back out of the fender making it look like it came from underneath.

We want to see the Honda........

XStretchified

...My guess is that the Honda ran up on top and wedged something under the seat that poked through the top of the fender. When the bikes fell to the pavement it plucked it back out of the fender making it look like it came from underneath.

We want to see the Honda.....

I'm with XStretchified650. Looks like something pulled to get that hole.
Was the Honda running an exotic ornament on the front fender?

FlyIndian.jpg

Sorry, no photos of the accident scene or aftermath. Anyone who might have taken said pictures was laying in the road writhing in pain. Studying the damage it appears the Honda started to fall to the left then hooked something (curb?) and flipped over on its right side and slid. Damage on both sides of the bike, mainly the $700 Vance & Hines exhaust system got creamed. It's out of production but I lucked out and found a replacement set in Arizona for $400 so now I'm into Magna exhaust to the tune of $1100.

The XS got punted straight forward and went down on the right side. Primary damage to front of bike, forks, headlight, indicators, etc. Damage to the XS was limited because I was under it to provide a cushion.

I should mention that a full face modular HJC helmet, Castle protective jacket, Gasolina Boots and Castle gloves saved a lot of my favorite parts. Lands End jeans on the other hand were of no use and cost me some skin.

Back to the fender hole, I thought I'd discover that the brake stay rod or some such part had been ripped free and made the hole but that was not the case. Other than the fender being ripped loose from it's mounts nothing back there is missing or obviously free to roam. And no Two Many, the Magna was not sporting a Hudson hood ornament...The mystery continues. :shrug:

roy

I should mention that a full face modular HJC helmet, Castle protective jacket, Gasolina Boots and Castle gloves saved a lot of my favorite parts. Lands End jeans on the other hand were of no use and cost me some skin.
...The mystery continues. :shrug:
roy

Hi Roy,
the real mystery is why most riders do that; we ride wearing all manner of protective gear from head to hips and from feet to mid-calf with nothing in between but a pair of jeans?
Especially as every time I've fallen off a bike I've landed on my arse.

Back