1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

ACHTUNG!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxPete, Sep 10, 2020.

1. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

They were just so "old school" too, heavy leather base and canvas upper bag. I found all mine on eBay, some used, some N.O.S. Not cheap but a very high quality unit.

I have the Bagster set-up on my Guzzi .....

[​IMG]

Grimly, Mailman and MaxPete like this.
  2. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Greetings Komrads!
    I thought you might enjoy this video on the restoration of a 1960s Dniepr which is former identity of the Ural brand of Russian-built copies of pre-WW-2 BMW 750cc Wehrmacht motorcycles. The BMWs were used in the 1941 invasion of the Soviet Union by the Nazis.
    The Ural is often is seen with a sidecar and is still available for purchase new.

I found the video to be well worth watching (besides – WTF else do you have to do….?). In particular, his techniques and use of interesting chemicals to restore metal parts is quite amazing. What is also surprising is how similar my 1983 BMW R100RS is to the Dniepr which is essentially a copy of a 1937 BMW 750. The three biggest differences I could spot are:
    • the driveshaft in the Dniepr is separate from the swingarm where on my bike it runs in a tube which forms the right-hand side of the swing arm;
    • the camshaft in the Dniepr is above the crank while in my bike it is below the crankshaft;
    • the Dniepr uses timing gears to drive the camshaft while my bike has a timing chain.
    The Dniepr was also license- (or maybe without license) -built in China as the Chang Jiang - although my guess is that the original designers in Bavaria never got any revenue from these reproductions given that the original arrangements were with the "former management" of Germany.

Two guys in my vintage club have these bikes: one is a Ural in olive drab green and the other is a Chang Jiang variant in a very smart black with red pinstripes. Both bikes run well and are good sidecar rigs with nice big luggage capacity. The Ural is a two-wheel drive version and only lacks the machine-gun mount to be the perfect bike for heavy traffic areas.

Enjoy!
    Pete

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Boog, madmax-im, Paul Sutton and 3 others like this.
  3. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

I saw that posted somewhere else and watched it. I should've made note of the various chemicals, but they're likely banned/controlled/licensed here in the Nanny States of America.

Paul Sutton and MaxPete like this.
  4. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yup - I wondered about that - I don't think I would know where to go to buy a lot of those items. I suppose if you typed the names into a web search window, you might get some bites...

5. lewisjohn

lewisjohn XS650 Member

Swansea
    E39FCD88-C3B9-4763-8766-43BD43DCE149.jpeg 8983D1D6-B34C-4C79-86A8-BF4A355C3A56.jpeg 672AECCF-E501-4038-BFE9-6B07ACC9DA88.jpeg My current airhead collection, I’ve been modifying airheads for the last 10 years.

Mailman, Boog, madmax-im and 5 others like this.
  6. jetmechmarty

jetmechmarty What should I put here? XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

I watched several vids on their channel. They're very relaxing and interesting. The only sound is the activity being performed. Yes, I enjoyed watching him restore an anvil. Very nice!

MaxPete likes this.
  7. MaxPete

8. lewisjohn

lewisjohn XS650 Member

Swansea
    If you look closely at the rear light on the yellow one you’ll see a Canadian flag sticker, the bike was sold new in Calgary in 1974, it was then exported to Spain and sat unused for many years before arriving in the UK where it ended up with me. I recommissioned it and use it now for touring ,900 miles in 6 days in 2019 being the last long trip I did.

9. MaxPete

Truly a world traveller!

Paul Sutton likes this.
  10. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

In the UK I generally see DNEPRs with 650 or 750cc engines. A couple of months back a nice condition one sold on Ebay for £850 and I wished it were me who won - this was the 650cc without a sidecar.

MaxPete likes this.
  11. MaxPete

I’ll bet they’re fun to ride - notwithstanding the performance which is likely best described as....stately.

Paul Sutton and Downeaster like this.
  12. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

"Stately"... now THERE is a diplomatic comment! :laugh2:

13. MaxPete

Well....I AM Canadian afterall - a citizen of the country that invented peacekeeping. :geek:

...but of course, we also took Vimy Ridge and play hockey....;)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  14. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

And if you were really over the moon with it you could be said to be, “ Blatherskated”. An old Yorkshire term for being speechless with pleasedness.

Paul Sutton, lakeview and MaxPete like this.
  15. MaxPete

Hey @lewisjohn - I just noticed the little instrument package with power outlet mounted to your fuel tank on the grey bike...how do you power it and what does the rotary switch (if that is what it is....) do?

Looks interesting!

Pete

Paul Sutton likes this.
  16. MaxPete

Blatherskated...I've got a colleague who is a Yorkshireman (Bradford, I believe) - I will find a way to work that word into a conversation with him just for the reaction. I also enjoy watching / listening to Stuart Fillingham's channel on YouTube - his accent is nice.

Thanks for sharing that Rasputin!

Pete

Rasputin likes this.
  17. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    "Comrades, we have succeeded in shining a turd."

18. lewisjohn

lewisjohn XS650 Member

Swansea
    It’s an ex police bike which has a compartment built into the tank top.it has a drain pipe at the bottom of the cavity so I ran the cables etc through that. It’s got a time clock,voltmeter,12v power socket for phone charging,the rotary switch is headlight on/off.

MaxPete likes this.
  19. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

Vimy Ridge... I know it well.

I used to work at a chemical plant near by in Drocourt and visited a couple of times. Sad place but fabulous little museum about WW1 should you ever visit. The grounds have some well preserved areas that still show the craters on top of craters and of course loads of unexploded shells. There are always small piles of shells out front of each farm following plowing/ploughing and the army would collect them for disposal.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    MaxPete likes this.
  20. MaxPete

Ahhhh... now THAT makes sense. The coppers get all sorts of nifty add-ones.

But that is OK - they deserve them, and more.

Paul Sutton likes this.