Acorn nut sizes etc.

jetero41

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anybody have the time or desire to list the acorn nut size, thread pitch and count?
Am going to replace ALL the "iron" hardware with stainless. Some kits avaiable on e_bay for engine and front end etc. but i have not found any SS acorn kits so i'll buy individual pieces. Already have bunch and the top end (risers, pilot box, bar controls look GOOD semi gloss black with the SS )
Anyone know where i can find SS castle nuts?

That's a lot of work to ask for! Also generally, stainless may look pretty, but there is a reason it is not used more. It is not nearly as strong. You will never see any stainless hardware used on a racecar or performance vehicle.

8mm 1.25, 12mm hex. And the others valve covers are a 10 mm hex, not 12, 6mm, 1.00 pitch. Cylinder heads are 12mm, 1.25, 17mm hex. You will probably find several 10mm 1.25 14mm hex acorn nuts around the bike as well. Although, some vary in length . All standard Japanese sizes.

8mm 1.25, 12mm hex. And the others valve covers are a 10 mm hex, not 12, 6mm, 1.00 pitch. Cylinder heads are 12mm, 1.25, 17mm hex. You will probably find several 10mm 1.25 14mm hex acorn nuts around the bike as well. Although, some vary in length . All standard Japanese sizes.
You are right they are 10mm. I was thinking of the rocker arm adjuster nut. I will edit my OP.

Thank you Tech 7. "Lot's of work" That's why I phrased the request like I did. Was hoping someone had a shopping list like I need.

Anyone ever come across SS castle nuts ???

Thanks again

You'll find that some of these will be near impossible to match exactly because they're special J.I.S. fasteners. Many J.I.S. nuts have a smaller head size than a regular metric one. A case in point would be the 4 acorn nuts for that left front valve cover. They are M8 but take a 12mm wrench size. A standard metric M8 takes a 13mm wrench size. McMaster Carr has regular J.I.S. nuts but not acorns.

Back