Add another to the collection...

RustiePyles

"Pocket sand! Sh-sh-sha!'
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So the wife has been looking for a little Honda CB for a while now. She found one on FB marketplace yesterday. I went and bought it today. It’s 1976 CJ360T (CB variant). Got it for $250...
9FC06501-67C9-4CA3-80F3-2866B9BE5A00.jpeg
46924C37-C8FA-4505-ABAF-861F4BB01B22.jpeg
C4A49D75-3E54-403E-80CA-68D6426A70EF.jpeg

I’ve always had a soft spot for the little CBs, my first bike was an early 70s CB250 with the drum brake and the metal shrouds that go down over the forks, can’t remember what year now, too long ago, the 360s don’t have as much parts commonality as the 250 and 350s, so a bit harder to get parts for, looks like a fun project, especially for the price.

WOW! That looks like an easy project. Solid base to start with. Got it at a good price too. The engine turns over. Right?
Yes, solid compression on both cylinders. Clean the tank/carbs, change the oil, set the points/valves and it should fire right up. It appears to 100% complete. The only damage is the headlight bucket is busted.

You done good!

I think a Honda Build Thread is in order here.
Yeah I’ll have a thread on it, but it won’t be to long, bike doesn’t need to awful much to start with. She wants to change a few things. I’m guessing the tins will end up with @Jim once she picks a color.

Well I got the XS off the lift :( and got the wife's CJ up on it. Got a new set of keys made from cyclekeysonline on eBay. Cant recommend him highly enough. Gave him the Honda key code on the ignition lock cylinder and he sent me two now perfectly functional keys that fit my Ignition lock, seat lock, and fork lock.

8.jpg

How bad's the inside?
Well... I honestly can't tell. From What I can see its rough, but there is so much buildup I cant tell if there is actual degradation. I'm going to see if I can get the varnish out and find out how bad the tank underneath actually is. It doesn't "appear" that any rust has gotten through the tank ( he says laughing maniacally ) but we've all been there...

Nice score!!

if you have questions there is a Honda twins forum that has good info in the archives but all the contributing members left and formed a new forum called vintage Honda twins which is pretty active and can always come up with a good answer.

I’ve been building a cb500t the last few months and just fired it up yesterday. The Sub 750 CBS are just so light and compact they are a blast to ride.

and parts for everything but the 500t are pretty much a dime a dozen which makes things easy.

Nice score!!

if you have questions there is a Honda twins forum that has good info in the archives but all the contributing members left and formed a new forum called vintage Honda twins which is pretty active and can always come up with a good answer.

I’ve been building a cb500t the last few months and just fired it up yesterday. The Sub 750 CBS are just so light and compact they are a blast to ride.

and parts for everything but the 500t are pretty much a dime a dozen which makes things easy.
Yeah I joined the old forum first and was promptly directed to the new Vintage twins forum, which in my opinion is also pretty dead. They don't have near the community engagement we have here. I was honestly shocked at the price of replacement parts for Honda twins...:bike: I might need to jump ship and get couple more Honda's...:jk: Got a load of parts from 4into1 and common motors for next to nothing. I'm going to be into this bike for less than a G all said and done.

Yes, if you cruise enough forums you’ll find this place to be quite exceptional.

The new forum was just put together a year or so ago and does have a few hiccups to get through. Mainly engagement of members which I think a lot are just young kids without much to contribute. Also, I think there is in general a negative slant of the overall forum driven by a few members/mods hatred of the old forum and common motors, which is pretty high school stuff but you know, some people got nothing else to do. None the less, I do what I can to contribute and help make it a bit more positive.

as you’ve seen, bikes and parts are dirt cheap.

4into1 is dirt cheap but don’t offer a lick of support for the things they sell. Returns are easy though.

Very nice looking CJ360T - so nice and clean (at least on the outside)!

My first bike was a 1975 CB360T and it was one tough little machine - just about unkillable. I found it to be perfect for around town and quite OK on the highway (I actually rode it from Toronto, Ontario Canada right down the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive to Front Royal VA - and back). When I traded it in for a bigger bike in about 1978, I think the little CB had more than 60,000 miles on it with no detectable decrease in performance, leaks or funny noises.

I am sure that your wife will have a great time on the CJ360 and she'll really enjoy it!

Pete
Honda_CB360T.jpg

Last edited:
Back