Add me to list of accell coil users with boyer ignition

Fndirtygreaser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well I have looked everywhere for information regarding accell 3 ohm coil and boyer ignitions. It's very limited. I believe only a handful of guys are running this particular coil with electronic ignition.

Some back story ... I got the bike with boyer ignition already installed. After fixing the carbs and finally getting it to run good I noticed some breaking up in the WOT region. Researched and found an old coil would cause that symptom. I go look to see what coil I had ( I always thought it was boyer coil) and sure enough stock coil. So figured it was time for upgrade. Didn't want to go Mikesxs route , heard too many horror stories. Wanted something powerful and reliable. I settled on accell after seeing some people having success with it on an xs650.
I purchased the 140403ks( black coil and dark gray wires set) the coil is 3ohm, and the wires are 8.8mm suppression with carbon covered spiral core. The cap boots are standard non resistor type. My plugs I'm using are Ngk bp7es (gapped to .45) non resistor. Soy wires are the only resistance in the circuit. After instal it started and ran fine. here are the things I noticed
~Started easy with a half ass kick.
~throttle response at idle was instant and crisp
~ break up in the high rpm WOT was gone. Pulled all the way without any issues until I shifted to next gear
~ on fwy 65mph felt good when I got on throttle to pass.
I'm sure my MPG is going to go up from a measly 38mpg.

Overall very satisfied. Here are some pics. I found a good mounting spot using the bracket supplied. Have not seen it mounted like this before.
null_zps44c3a6cb.jpg

null_zpsb0d847a3.jpg

You can see the wires in this shot
null_zps6131e695.jpg

Well I have looked everywhere for information regarding accell 3 ohm coil and boyer ignitions. It's very limited. I believe only a handful of guys are running this particular coil with electronic ignition.

Some back story ... I got the bike with boyer ignition already installed. After fixing the carbs and finally getting it to run good I noticed some breaking up in the WOT region. Researched and found an old coil would cause that symptom. I go look to see what coil I had ( I always thought it was boyer coil) and sure enough stock coil. So figured it was time for upgrade. Didn't want to go Mikesxs route , heard too many horror stories. Wanted something powerful and reliable. I settled on accell after seeing some people having success with it on an xs650.
I purchased the 140403ks( black coil and dark gray wires set) the coil is 3ohm, and the wires are 8.8mm suppression with carbon covered spiral core. The cap boots are standard non resistor type. My plugs I'm using are Ngk bp7es (gapped to .45) non resistor. Soy wires are the only resistance in the circuit. After instal it started and ran fine. here are the things I noticed
~Started easy with a half ass kick.
~throttle response at idle was instant and crisp
~ break up in the high rpm WOT was gone. Pulled all the way without any issues until I shifted to next gear
~ on fwy 65mph felt good when I got on throttle to pass.
I'm sure my MPG is going to go up from a measly 38mpg.

Overall very satisfied. Here are some pics. I found a good mounting spot using the bracket supplied. Have not seen it mounted like this before.
null_zps44c3a6cb.jpg

null_zpsb0d847a3.jpg

You can see the wires in this shot
null_zps6131e695.jpg

I have been using that same coil for 7 years now. I used it with points for the first year and with a Pamco electronic ignition for the last 6 years. Its a great coil, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Yeah, 38 mpg is bad for sure. You should be able to get 50 mpg or more. I get 52 to 55 mpg on my 78 SE.

The 0.045" plug gap seems to be a little large, but it appears to be working well for you. I use 0.035", which is what Accel recommends for that coil.

I also mounted my coil in front of the engine, and used the rubber mounting that the horn previously used.

Attachments

• Accel coil mounting.JPG
    Accel coil mounting.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 288
Retiredgent,
After reading your experience with the coil I decided to pull the trigger actually. I'm sure I will love this thing even more than I already do. Lol
I read the long thread about plug gap I decided to try .045 and see how it goes. Since thats whatoat run with high output coils. Next plug change I can switch back to .035 and see if there are any difference.
I have vm34 w UNi pods, and straight pipes. My plugs looked tan so I know I'm not running aggressively rich. I noticed people saying they get 50 mpg easy. I was like wtf is wrong with my bike. Hope this coil gets me some good results.

Retiredgent,
After reading your experience with the coil I decided to pull the trigger actually. I'm sure I will love this thing even more than I already do. Lol
I read the long thread about plug gap I decided to try .045 and see how it goes. Since thats whatoat run with high output coils. Next plug change I can switch back to .035 and see if there are any difference.
I have vm34 w UNi pods, and straight pipes. My plugs looked tan so I know I'm not running aggressively rich. I noticed people saying they get 50 mpg easy. I was like wtf is wrong with my bike. Hope this coil gets me some good results.

Tan coloured plugs is just the way they should be.

Since you have gone with pods and straight pipes, You must have also increased the size of the carb jets. You're tuning your bike for power and not for economy. I have doubt that you will achieve 50 mpg but maybe 45 to 48 mpg. I use the stock airbox/filters and stock exhaust, which gives me 52 mpg around town, and 54 or 55 on long highway trips.

I just did the numbers and I'm at around 42mpg. Fixed my leaky petcock and leaky fuel cap when tank was full. 65miles and took 1.5 gallons to top off tank . I will post new numbers once I fill up tank again. Thanks for your numbers. I would not feel bad if I got close to 50 mpg now considering your running on a pretty much stock bike.

Tan coloured plugs is just the way they should be.

Since you have gone with pods and straight pipes, You must have also increased the size of the carb jets. You're tuning your bike for power and not for economy. I have doubt that you will achieve 50 mpg but maybe 45 to 48 mpg. I use the stock airbox/filters and stock exhaust, which gives me 52 mpg around town, and 54 or 55 on long highway trips.

Not necessarily- if the bike is well set-up there's no reason the economy won't be good.... as long as you ride it similar to the standard set-up :thumbsup:

EXAMPLE: My Z1000 has a 1075 Wiseco kit, full Dyna ignition, RS36 carbs + K&N's and is mildly gas flowed (std cams), 4:1 pipe and I get 50mpg UK (42mpg USA?) on a long run - thats as good/better than typical for a standard Z1000 running on points, etc :yikes:

Back