1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

adding magnets to pickup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wildboar58, Sep 12, 2020.

1. wildboar58

wildboar58 XS650 Enthusiast

hey i have some 3/16 disk magnate s bout .150 thick can i put 2 on the pick up or i one enough?

2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

If you're talking about the TCI pickup, it doesn't have a magnet. Putting one on there would probably block the rotor magnet.

3. wildboar58

i mean the one on the stator ,that picks up the slip rings on my 81 xs

Jim likes this.
  4. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Rotors rotate, stators are stationary. ;)
    If you're talking about the part that rotates.... the rotor, it only takes 1 magnet.

timbeck likes this.
  5. wildboar58

it is stationary ,its black oval it sends signal to t c i .thats what i mean.

6. Jim

Back to my first answer then, it doesn't have a magnet. Putting one there would block the rotors magnet.

7. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

Some people dig the old magnet out and replace............. Others have glued to the existing magnet........Have to make sure the distance between the Rotor magnet and the pic-up coils is correct for the magnet strength. If the magnet isn't strong enough, or the gap to wide, that causes a weak signal..........

Pic to help distinguish the parts for future reference...........Might help next time when asking questions

late rotor copy.jpg

gggGary and GLJ like this.
  8. wildboar58

sorry im late with pics . had problems with slow internet.

9. wildboar58

so you can dig them out.if you glue them it won't hurt anything .

10. ippytattoo

ippytattoo Just another grumpy old hack.

The part you are pointing to is a pickup (sensor), there are no magnets inside that parts. There is a couple of coils that sense the magnet that is embedded in the rotor. If you try and dig out the "magnet" (actually just a steel core) from the pickup you will cause it to cease to function. If you add a magnet to the pickup it will block the signal from the magnet in the rotor and your ignition will cease to function. I think you don't fully understand what people are referring to when they talk about adding a magnet.

If you insist on adding a magnet or removing a "magnet" from the part you are pointing to the only thing you will accomplish is disabling your ignition system and causing the bike not to start/run.

But it is your bike so do as you wish and let us know how it goes

Jim likes this.
  11. Jim

Once again, what you're pointing at is the pickup coils. It contains 2 coils made of an iron core wrapped in copper wire. There are no magnets in that thing.
    Why don't you tell what kind of problem your having and maybe we can figure a way forward. Adding magnets where they don't belong won't fix anything.

ippytattoo likes this.
  12. 650Skull

650Skull SSSSSSSSSlither Top Contributor

I think you need to stop thinking and reread this thread until the information posted makes sense..........

Magnets are in the rotor only...........

Good luck..........

Jim likes this.
  13. wildboar58

ok thanks for straitening me out I guess I misunderstood on where magnets would go. the bike started up fine after rebuild ,the problem I'm having is it wouldn't start up later on.i tested the coil with multi meter it is in spec.i tested the rotor and its ok .the battery in good its glasmat and new ,when I turn key the neutral light comes on and horn works but no spark.

14. Jim

For starters, follow the ignition troubleshooting tree in the Yamaha manual.

IMG_20200914_154011.jpg

gggGary and Greyandridin like this.
  15. itschrisb

itschrisb XS650 Enthusiast

Sounds like your tci box has gone bad, but like Jim mentioned follow the trouble shooting guide.

Jim likes this.
  16. wildboar58

yea it looks like my tci box is bad. you cant buy them anymore can you? i,m looking at the gonzo suzuki gn250 i think i can wire it .

itschrisb and Jim like this.
  17. itschrisb

itschrisb XS650 Enthusiast

Highly recommend it!

Jim likes this.
  18. wildboar58

so it's pretty straight forward job?i can get on for about 43. bucks.

itschrisb likes this.