Adjust position of the camshaft?

marrow

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello
two years ago I changed the cylinder head (XS650 1980) and probably didn´t place the camshaft 100% precisely. There´s always a bit oil coming out of the ignition housing and the centrifugal advance housing. I changed already the rubber seals and seal rings.
Question: Is it possible to move/adjust the camshaft without removing the whole engine from the frame?
Thanks for tips!
Peter

When setting the cam, the cam gearing should be centered in the cam chain travel opening.
The cam end bearings need to be inserted and pushed towards the center of the engine.

That being said, one could loosen the head bolts and using a socket large enough to catch the outer ring of the cam bearing, then tap, looking for some inward travel on the cam end bearings.
The cam then MAY center itself (just thinking here) or a few cycles of the engine with the kickstart MAY move the cam gear in direct line with its corresponding crank gear.

I have found that the cam end bearings having not been pushed inward to their proper setting will result in oil leaks of which you describe.
Other opinions may vary.

With bearings all the way in on the camshaft, measure the distance from the outer edge of the bearing seat (journal) to the edge of the outer bearing on each side of the motor, using the depth probe of a caliper. The measurements should be equal.

It worked on the right side, I could move the bearing, but not on the left side. I didn´t want to use too much force. In the end I put in a second paper gasket, now it seems to work. No oil leaking.
Still leaking a bit at the cylinder foot on the left side, I guess the gasket is not 100% sealing anymore. I tried to seal it with liquid metal, it worked for some time, then leaking again. Has anybody ever sealed there from outside?
Thanks!

Do a search for "power brake booster" and do a bit of reading, might solve your problem.....of course a lower oil leak from the cylinder would be a great reason to check the torque on the head.
Personally, I'd not even attempt a patch to stop an oil leak from the outside especially using liquid metal. Other opinions may vary.

I undid the bolts on the head for moving the bearings, so the torque is ok.
I searched for "power brake booster" and did some reading, but don´t understand how it could solve the leaking problem....

It reduces internal crankcase pressure so that can lessen or even stop minor oil leaks. There's not as much pressure trying to force oil out now.

That is just a check valve, like a PCV valve in a car engine. Lets the crankcase "breathe out" , but not in. So helps lowering the pressure in the crankcase/ gearbox. Which will reduce any oil leaks, as well as potentially improve power slightly.
However, there are more elegant solutions available, like these two reed valve type:
https://www.heidentuning.com/xs650-...eather-system-reed-valve-complete-detail.html

And this one for connecting to the oem breather via a short hose. I have this one, as the integrated one above was not available 10 years ago.
https://www.heidentuning.com/xs650-...kcase-ventilation-valve-reed-type-detail.html

The easiest way to center the cam is to loosen the head fasteners, remove the gaskets from the cam covers and tighten the covers. Then remove the covers, install the gaskets and tighten everything back down. I measured the clearances for another member having the same problem. We discovered that there's no clearance (gaps) between the covers, the bearings and the cam shoulders.... everything butts together all the way across. Therefor, if both covers tighten down against the head without the gaskets, the cam and bearings will be automatically centered.

IMG_20180716_111536 (2).jpg

Where do you install that ventilation valve?
Sorry, I´m not an expert, never heard of that. Thanks a lot!

Where do you install that ventilation valve?
Sorry, I´m not an expert, never heard of that. Thanks a lot!

The oil breather hose .

The second one I linked to, is connected to the hose from the stock breather. Preferably the shortest possible length of hose.
The first unit I linked to, actually replaces the stock breather, and only needs an outlet hose. This is the better solution.
The breather is bolted to the head/ cam box, between the carburettors.

Original XS varianter.jpg
Siste skrik for XS.jpg
My stock breather has two hoses... Sorry, don´t get it...
There are several versions (generations) of breathers. Later versions have only 1 hose connection, while the original one on my 77, and yours have 2. See attached picture.
You can either block off one connection and connect to the other one. Or remove the "Y- piece" from the box shaped main part, and replace it with a single threaded hose barb, a standard plumbing item. Or replace your breather with one of the newer, single hose type.
Or get that 67 Euro reed valve assembly that replaces your entire breather. Which is mounted with 4 pcs M6 Allen screws (5 mm Allen key required) See attached picture.

Last edited:
What is the source of the 67 Euro style breather? Someone selling them? Like the look. Is the hose barn on that breather angled to the left or right as well to direct the hose away from the frame tube?

Back