Adjusting rear shock height?

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Dumb question, can the rear springs be adjusted to affect your ride height? I was told that they are adjustable and I see notches where that's possible but how the heck do you adjust them??

Usually there is a hook wrench to adjust the shocks.

You adjust the springs so that when you sit on it, it drops about 1 1/2". I think that's how it goes. The amount it compresses just from your weight is called the 'sag.' Like the man said, there's a wrench for it, or some gorillas can turn it by hand. Set them both the same. It doesn't really set the height, since there is a best setting for it. The shock length sets the height.

If you use your hands, there's LOTS of pinch points to give your hand a blood blister or 2.

Laden sag should be set between 25 and 30 mm., depending on how aggressively you want to ride. Effective ride height can be lowered by decreasing preload; however this will also reduce effective suspension travel and increase the likelihood of bottoming the suspension. Sag should be equal front and rear. Google the procedure, I'm tired of writing it out.

To increase ride height in the rear, taller shocks are needed; 13-1/4" to 13-1/2" works well for the vertically challenged, 14" isn't too much if your inseam is long enough.

It's currently set at the second to lowest setting. I would like my ride to be just a little stiffer. I feel like I'm bouncing when I'm on the back roads. I'll google the procedure on adjusting them. Can this hook wrench be found easily or is this a special tool made specifically for the job? If that's the case, good luck finding one.

You can move the preload collar with a pair of water pump pliers (Channel Locks) on a rag.

There are two things going on with shocks--spring rate (adjustable, within limits, by preload changes) and damping (resistance to compression and rebound action). For aggressive riding, OEM shocks of the period were marginal when new, and often hopeless with 15K miles or so of use. A good pair of new Progressive Suspension Series 14 shocks with springs selected for your combined bike and rider weight can be had for around $200 from 650 Central. If you know what spring rate you're looking for (and if the vendor knows what he's selling), a good pair of Red Wings (Kayaba's premium aftermarket line) can sometimes be had for less. With shocks, you'll get what you pay for; avoid the cheap stuff.

You can also move it by sticking a screwdriver in the hole the end of the proper wrench would hook into. It's a hole in a raised place. It's not hard to turn really.

Thanks for the advice. I'm under the assumption that these are still the stock shocks. I'm 170 lbs and occasionally take my wife or sister in law on afternoon rides so that adds another 120lbs or so to the bike. I'll do some research through the forum and online and get back with the group here when I'm ready to make that purchase.

Back