Advance mechanism causing kickback?

LPYYZ

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been having problems kickstarting since I had my engine rebuilt last season. About half of my kick start attempts result in a pretty good kickback.

I decided to replace the advance springs this winter to see if that will help the problem and I found that even with new springs the mechanism is slow to return.

This seems a bit slow to me. Any common reasons why this might be happening? Could the nut holding the mechanism on be too tight? I’m hesitant to losen it incase I accidentally affect my timing.

Thanks in advance... (no pun intended)

Liam

.. does seems a tad sluggish. Is the rod lubed that pass's through the cam..?... Doesn't the advance only come into play after it's started.. ? I'm think'n the time'n is off.

That does seem a bit sluggish... needs to be addressed, but I doubt that's your problem. It returns before you'd have a chance to give it a kick. Like Mike said, your timings probably off.

If you still have points the points cam can slow the action in some cam positions. Open the points cover, see if the snap back is trying to open a set of points. the rod should be greased, sparingly with very light grease. Best take a look with a strobe timing light, that will clearly show proper advance action AND unusual firing events. IMHO a PAMCO is a real step up on these. I'm wiring one into "Madness" right now, LOL.

The timing has been checked and was even adjusted a small amount to help but it wasn’t enough to make a significant difference.

I’m running the Pamco set up that the previous owner had installed.

How does the time'n marks look with a time'n light..?.. you shouldn't have a kick back with a Pamco.
A buddy over in Wisconsin set the points on his 73' Tx.. went to kick it... it kick'd back.. broke his foot.

motormike is correct. Kickback is often caused by the engine reversing just enough to open a closed set of points. For that to happen with the PAMCO, the engine would have to reverse about 60 degrees. So, if you are experiencing kick back with a PAMCO, it must be not timed correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I’ll be checking the timing once the bike is running again.

Upgrading to the Pamco Hall effect E-ignition system should solve the advance mechanism problem?

I had considered upgrading last season but now may be the time.

Liam

When you had this situation I'm assuming you had/have points? Not to take over your thread I just want to know cause I have points still and i have a similiar problem wondering if my sticky weights is what is causing my no idle problem. these are what mine look like

If your weights were sticking in the advanced position, you wouldn't have a no idle problem, you'd have a high or hanging idle problem.

I think the Pamco Electronic ignition is amazing but not so sure the E Advance is .
I have both and getting rid of the points was one of the best ideas ever.So much so that I decided
to get the E ADVANCE but really noticed no difference with that.If it breaks I will definitely go back to
the manual advance with the weights and springs, as long as u have the springs set properly theres lil that
can go wrong, the rod and weights could be sticking a bit ,thats an easy fix with a light layer of Moly grease.
I have the kickback every now and then even with everything working correctly.Its the nature of the beast
I assume.Dam near broke my foot a few times and once my foot slipped of and I got a nice bruise on my shin. Kickstart is a Novelty really especially with the Pamco, if your battery goes dead the kick wont work anyway!

How does the time'n marks look with a time'n light..?.. you shouldn't have a kick back with a Pamco.
A buddy over in Wisconsin set the points on his 73' Tx.. went to kick it... it kick'd back.. broke his foot.
I installed the PAMCO two weeks ago, after a kickback I have walked with pain for 2 weeks, pretty sure I broke something and didn't get that checked, I will get my timing right... I've read that it's better to have it slightly retarded.. ??

Back