Advance mechanism servicing? Does it need any?

ann0yed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm putting the Pamco in and I see I'm supposed to service the advance mechanism as a part of the install. The two claw things click like they should as far as I can tell. Is the advance rod lubricated by an oil pathway in there somewhere? Do I need to pull the rod out and lube it up? Double entendre.

-j

- i pull the rod and coat the surfaces that sit inside the bushes or bearings-whichever you have-with a molybdinum based lubricant...when putting back make sure the long end of the rod is on the points side, the pins line up, the atu backing plate locates properly, the retaining nut flange points out, the nut is done up tight-even a little locktite, the marks on the atu rotor face outwards and line up with that on the backing plate, and the weights snap back when extended...sound complicated ? its not, the whole process takes about 15-20 mins

- when loosening the retaining nut ease the backing plate out at the same time or all will bind, reverse the process when reinstalling

Once you have removed the advance rod, if you look into the holes in the cam end, you'll see the outer bushing on each end has grooves cut into it's I.D. Fill those with grease and the rod will have a reservoir of lube for many years to come. Even though the ends of the rod are the only spots that really need lube, I smear the entire length with grease to protect against corrosion - just a very light smear so it looks wet.

The ATU itself can also use an occasional lube job, specifically the posts that the weights rotate on. Initially, I pull it apart, clean the posts & weight holes, then lightly grease. After that for maintenance purposes, I use a small shot of foaming chain lube on the posts and springs occasionally. I apply it when the motor is warm so it penetrates better.

Back