Advance Rod and PAMCO Ignition

mikeh36

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the PAMCO High Output Standard Ignition (part #14-0912) for my '80 XS and managed to snap the advance rod while tightening it all up (guess I'm stronger than I thought). Does anyone know if there's anything special about the advance rod that's part of the kit and the replacement one Mike sells Part 14-0650? I've got an email in but I'm hoping to find out before Monday morning so that the replacement is ordered when business opens.

Nothing special at all. Just a copy of the factory Yamaha rod. You might be able to fix the rod. Drill and tap the broken end and put a bolt or stud to hold the Pamco rotor. I think that would work.

I purchased the PAMCO High Output Standard Ignition (part #14-0912) for my '80 XS and managed to snap the advance rod while tightening it all up (guess I'm stronger than I thought). Does anyone know if there's anything special about the advance rod that's part of the kit and the replacement one Mike sells Part 14-0650? I've got an email in but I'm hoping to find out before Monday morning so that the replacement is ordered when business opens.

You need to buy yourself a torque wrench. The torque on the advance rod nuts is very small, only 84 inch/lbs. Buy one that is made for that inch pound range. If you own these bikes for very long, proper torque wrenches are a "must own" tool.

Thanks guys. I did overspend last week on a torque wrench, unfortunately the lowest it goes is 20lbs. I'll go shopping today and see if I can get a more precise one.

Thanks guys. I did overspend last week on a torque wrench, unfortunately the lowest it goes is 20lbs. I'll go shopping today and see if I can get a more precise one.

I got by with a 20 to 80 ft/lb wrench for many years, but 5twins convinced me that I also needed an in/lb torque wrench. I bought a Tekton 20 to 200 in/lb ,1/4" drive unit and find it works great. Its money well spent.

Back