Advance Rod cleaning '73 TX650

Chrondor

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering, from anyone who's done this, if I can remove the advance rod without taking out the advance unit? My weights aren't returning properly and there is a dry metal sound when I rotate them so I think I only need to polish and lube the rod (phrasing?) without replacing the springs.The info I've seen on it is pretty vague. Thanks in advance (no pun intended)...

You should service both the advance rod and the pivot posts on the advance unit that the weights rotate on. If you've never done it before, it's best to take the weights off the posts, clean the posts, clean the holes in the weights, lightly grease both, and re-assemble. There should be a thin wave shim washer behind each weight on the post so take care not to lose that. In the future, you can re-lube the pivot posts without taking things apart again using a little foaming chain lube. Do it after a ride while the motor's still warm/hot so it penetrates better. This can all be done without removing the advance unit from the bike.

The advance rod can be serviced as well without pulling the advance unit off. Just remove the little disc in the center that connects the ends of the weights to the rod. Then you can pull the rod out from the points side, points cam still installed. Clean the bushings in the cam, pack with fresh grease, lightly grease the entire length of the rod, and re-install.

Thanks for your help. Just did exactly this and replaced the springs with some from Mikesxs. Snaps right back now. Much easier than it sounded too I might add.

I should have mentioned the alignment thing for the advance rod. It's possible to install it 180° off and that would throw the timing off 180°. I guess you'll know when you try to start it, lol. It won't start if you did it wrong.

This problem arises because the hole for the locating pin in the advance rod on the advance unit side goes all the way through the rod. You can stick the pin in either side. Only one is correct, the other is 180° off. Yamaha helped us with this by putting alignment marks on the little disc and on the advance unit itself. There are scribed lines on the later units, early ones may just have paint dots. You assemble things so the marks align (yellow arrows) .....

Abg8svm.jpg

What you're doing here is aligning the pin on the advance side with the other pin on the points side. This gives the correct timing .....

LhHXTz4.jpg

Still having trouble getting the weights to come back. Am I missing something? Cleaned and lubed everything. Can the rod get tightened too much. The bike is running great except for these damn advance weights!!

There have been reports that the MikesXS replacement springs are often too weak. Now that you've got it all lubed up, the originals may work fine again, try them if you still have them. If not, you can stiffen either by removing one loop off the end. Remove the hook loop and bend the next coil out to form a new hook. Only do one spring to start, often that is enough.

I found the same problem with the springs...............Thinking new is better, i bought a set off MikesXS only to find the weights wouldn't snap back.......reinstalled the old ones, all good so i threw mikes ones away......

Now it won't advance. Sheesh. I can't win with this advance unit...
Clipped one original and left one of the MikesXs Springs on and now it won't advance.
I'll have to take it apart and look at it again tomorrow.
So close to having it tuned up sweet too.

Back