Advancer/points rod

XSLeo

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I spotted an Advancer/points rod on Ebay,
Item #170749407093 NOS Yamaha part #256-11156-00-00 Buy It Now price $64.
Thats only twice what Mike's wants.
Leo

I think they are good, just .5 mm long, but works fine. A bit more side to side play, you can shim it if you want to remove most of the side to side play, just need a bit to allow it to turn as needed for advance.
Leo

His advancer is good too. WhenI got the Pamco I got the set for the 80 up engines. That wat I had everthing new, My stock advancer was worn and from retard to full advance was way to far.
Mike's is just a touch wide but ok. At idle the timing light shows it about the witdh of the line to the right of the right side timing mark. At full advance it is about the width of the line past the full advance mark.
The stock unti was worn so you had 1/32 inch or more on both ends. I my peen the part that connects the wieghts to the slotted rotor. As in Grizld1's advance repair.
Leo

what does peening those little tabs on the weights do? My advancer is worn too, i set it to proper advance and used a hair of jb weld to keep the weights from retracting all the way. It runs and drives fine, but i just dont wanna chance that worn ATU.

It makes the tabs wider so they fit tighter in the slots of that little disc on the end of the advance rod. A tighter fit means the disc and advance rod turn less than before. This reduces the amount of advance. Total advance is supposed to be something like 25°. As the tabs get loose in the slots, the rod can turn more and that 25° range begins to grow. You can compensate for a while by setting the idle timing a bit retarded but eventually that doesn't work any more. You get too far retarded at idle to keep from over-advancing and the bike runs bad at slow speeds, hard starting too.

My old one was maybe 30-35 degres total. The one from Mike's maybe 26-27 Not much but a bit wide.
Peening the tabs does what adding a bit of JB weld does, Brings the too wide advance back to spec.
The most wear in the advancer is the tabs that engage the disc, where the weights pivot on the pins is another, just not as noticable. So if even peening to get a snug fit doesn't fix the advance you might still need a replacement.
I replaced mine before I read about the peening fix. As my new one is a touch wide I may try peening to get it to spec.
The 25 sounds right, Total is 38 to 40 degrees, on the points models, the TCI was 40 total, 15 idle. Depending on the source you found the spec in.
Leo

Back