Advice from you ignition guru's (points specific)

Or yet another option, if you do decide to pull the top end down. I've got a good 256 cam that I was going to swap the sprocket and use on my build. Since I'm going with an alternative ignition that buggered up hole would bother me, possibly make a trade. Just a thought.

Thanks Beags. I'd like to get the motor running a bit more to see if a top end tear down is warranted. If so, I'd definitely be interested in working something out with you. Left cylinder is running a bit lower on compression (120) compared to right. That cylinder looks like it was probably left with an open valve. If that comes up after running it a bit, then I'll leave the top end alone assuming I can get a reliable iggy working. I do believe the actual mileage on the bike is correct at only 3800 miles, based on how everything on the motor looks to be untouched, except for that advance unit.

FWIW, the tank and badges in the picture do not look like '73.

FWIW, the tank and badges in the picture do not look like '73.
yup...original seller said it was a 72. Gas tank is not correct. VIN shows it as a 73. Have a proper tank lined up.

yup...original seller said it was a 72. Gas tank is not correct. VIN shows it as a 73. Have a proper tank lined up.
You have plans for that tank? :whistle:

So I was able to weld up that buggered up backing plate, and then with a little work with the dremel I got the advance assembly to work again. Thanks to Jim I have an original on its way. Ran the motor for awhile today after retorqueing the head. No oil leaks. Compression is at 118ish on the left and 126ish on the right. A little oil in the left brings it up to 125. A bit lower than what I'd like to see. I'll be pulling the motor to repaint the frame and do a proper restore. Would you run this motor or freshen up the top end?

Did you end up fixin' up your pin issue?
I was able to machine a slightly larger diameter pin that was more stable in the wallowed out pinhole. As Jim mentioned, the pin is there to ensure correct alignment only. The nut holds the advance assembly securely in place. I will add some JB weld to the wallowed out part of the hole, just to be safe. Checked timing both with an ohmeter and a timing light, and the assembly is working correctly (at least for now).

So I was able to weld up that buggered up backing plate, and then with a little work with the dremel I got the advance assembly to work again. Thanks to Jim I have an original on its way. Ran the motor for awhile today after retorqueing the head. No oil leaks. Compression is at 118ish on the left and 126ish on the right. A little oil in the left brings it up to 125. A bit lower than what I'd like to see. I'll be pulling the motor to repaint the frame and do a proper restore. Would you run this motor or freshen up the top end?

If this was me I would not touch anything before I got it on the road 200 ---.300 --500 miles or more
Driving as a running in procedure carefully and warm up
It can happen that the rings seat better in the Cylinder after a while
Whit that low mileage it can happen as I See it.
Secondly most likely some seals and gaskets needs to be replaced after a While .
There can be other things showing up after that time if unlucky.
And once the engine is out of the frame cam-chain off more things are perhaps done.

But I would not paint the frame either .. Once that is done it is no longer a Original bike.
Only at places fex where paint is gone .for rust protection. I would paint

Pulling the engine out and head off is a mechanical work that can go wrong. I have seen many over the years do just that
all human endeavors can and . In my view should be done only when needed. on bikes this old.
" Dont mess with things that works "

I have never had any shortage of things not working to bother with things that did work
The mechanical advance would not be an issue for me I would not even consider to pull the motor for it Because I would install Boyer as son as possible.
My view is that the mechanical advance don't hack it if more miles are run.
The bushing is poor and the springs will slacken and so on So replacement will come

Electrical problems will be there .. That can be time consuming

Thanks Jan_P. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist. I want a nicely restored good as new (or better) vintage 1973 TX650. These bikes are like therapy for me, else I wouldn't be on like my 8th one lol. Points don't worry me none either. I kinda like the simplicity. The way I figure it, since I'll have the motor out anyway, might as well spend the extra time and money to be sure of what you got, with an updated cam guide and all. If I were only looking to flip this, then I'd do a minimal restore, get it running and safe, throw some decent tins and rubber on it, call it a day and maybe even turn a buck. But, I'm not lookin to flip and not in it for the money. Some day my grandson/daughter will inherit one or more of my bikes, and I want them to remember me and smile whenever they see their XS650, or take it for a ride. Can't think of a better way of creating memories. On the other hand, my Harley will go to my son in law as punishment, lol.

Thanks Jan_P. I guess I'm too much of a perfectionist. I want a nicely restored good as new (or better) vintage 1973 TX650. These bikes are like therapy for me, else I wouldn't be on like my 8th one lol. Points don't worry me none either. I kinda like the simplicity. The way I figure it, since I'll have the motor out anyway, might as well spend the extra time and money to be sure of what you got, with an updated cam guide and all. If I were only looking to flip this, then I'd do a minimal restore, get it running and safe, throw some decent tins and rubber on it, call it a day and maybe even turn a buck. But, I'm not lookin to flip and not in it for the money. Some day my grandson/daughter will inherit one or more of my bikes, and I want them to remember me and smile whenever they see their XS650, or take it for a ride. Can't think of a better way of creating memories. On the other hand, my Harley will go to my son in law as punishment, lol.

Yes Sir that is one of the fine Things with this and motorcycles there are different views and different preferences. Different possibilities
There are many aspects. Some like to be in the garage more --others want to be out on the road --- others go to bike meetings socializing
and another sits at the Cafe
Its is a bit of a Philosophical question I am more into the " Real things have Imperfections "

On the other hand, my Harley will go to my son in law as punishment,
Heheheh ...e

Set the ignition too advanced and remove the electrical starter high compression Pistons . to large jets and You'll get him sorted out
To learn about life the hard way .. Limping around keeping quiet --wondering how do they do it ..

Asking.... how does the bike run good machine never had a motorcycle starting that easy no need for electrical starter at all .--.just a little push on the Kick and its ON "

Back