Advice on my Build

StampBear

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it has been a while since i have been on but my build stalled out due to a number of factors including weather, and some minor delays in financing...

Today i am asking for some concrete advice from you guys.

I have been contemplating not completing the build and just out right buying a bike that it all set to be on the road. in order to accomplish this the 650 needs to go (if i in fact go this rout).

if i do sell the bike do you think it would be smarter to part it out or sell it as a whole bike since it needs very little to finish it (for some one who has more experience than me)?

in truth the only things this bike needs to be done are :
finish body work and paint
a battery
mirrors
side covers
breaks
mufflers
and the tank supports on the frame to be made/welded on

what would be a fair asking price for this bike whole? and what could i expect if i parted it out?

Honestly, any un-finished project that you cannot ride down the road is the same thing as a basket case. With no battery, brakes, exhaust, fuel tank mounted, or side covers, that's what I hear. You don't know what you have until you make it run again, so the value is very low. In addiiton, style and equipment changes you may have made that do not suit your potential buyer will be detrimental to your selling price. New essential parts you may have added are in your favor, but I doubt you stand a chance of recovering what you have in it. Even your "new" essential parts are "used" if they have been unpackaged and installed.
No offense, but the smart project shopper will be looking for a "virgin" complete (as in all parts) basket, rather than a partial piece of work. You won't have a clue if parting is better til ya show what you have to a few people and get some offers. If they start picking out your stuff they would like to have on a consistient basis, then parting may be the ticket. A titled frame is an attraction in itself around these things.
Good luck to you.

Back