advice on tank decals

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I've not yet decided on the colour and design theme I wish to use on my 79 special tank and covers so I thought I'd do some tests.

I have a spare tank that I want to experiment with using rattle cans but I need some advice regarding applying decals ,which type to use etc.

I want some lettering that doesn't leave big ridges due to its thickness which is what I imagine vynal type decals will?

I had thought about maybe using letter stencils to spray the lettering and then laquer over the top of that ?

What are my options ?

If you do not want ridges, stencils will be the way to go. Unfortunately, you will still feel a ridge, but not as much as with vynal. You could give it 4 or 5 coats of clear over the top, then gently sand it back with some 1800 grit, and once you got rid of the ridge, give it a final coat of clear over the top,or polish it up.

Alternatively, you could get some water transfer decals, they are a LOT thinner than anything! Only problem is, some do not like laquer over them, but this can be remedied by giving it a few mists of clear over them, letting it dry completely between coats. Do about three, ant then you can do a proper coat over them for a final finish.

REMEMBER WITH RATTLE CANS, MANY MANY LIGHT COATS!!!! Otherwise you WILL get runs!! I do this all the time!!(Except now with this bike of mine!!) You get carried away, and before you know it, the paint is too thick and you see that teardrop running down the side!! Worst thing you can do then is try to wipe it off carefully, it don't happen!! Leave it to dry, and then sand it flat, and fix with a few LIGHT coats!!!

As a hindsight, you probably know this, but prepping is very important. Keying metal with some emery paper, washing it clean with detergent, then rinse properly, and finish off with either thinners or some paint prep wipes. Two coats of metal etch on metal will suffice, sand flat with some 1800 grit, give it another coat of primer if needed, then top coat.

Hope this helps!!:D

Last edited:
brilliant airwolfie thats just what I was looking for ta:thumbsup:

Whoever last painted this tank left the paint crazed so maybe the top coat reacted with the base coat or something. Anyway lots of rubbing down needed.

I'm just looking to mock something up at the moment to see if I'll like it.

I'm thinking an off white base with some large teal blue lettering probably diagonally wrapping the tank ...funky eh ?
kind of inspired by this
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Porsche_944_GTR_Le_Mans_1981_backleft_2009-03-14_A.JPG&imgrefurl=http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:porsche_944_GTR_Le_Mans_1981_backleft_2009-03-14_A.JPG&h=2112&w=2816&sz=2150&tbnid=6ZP8GASNSS5ZKM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__WzPWLWi5YkX0kAh84UK6VdhohnQ=&docid=Wyt41omJCOijnM&sa=X&ei=zaQSUvPwI8Wg0wXVxYHgDg&ved=0CDEQ9QEwAA&dur=618#imgdii=6ZP8GASNSS5ZKM%3A%3BPOn_T6ZFUzQ31M%3B6ZP8GASNSS5ZKM%3A

Japanese symbols would look neat :thumbsup:
great idea

maybe I could sell internet advertising on my tank :wink2:
I could write some .com addresses on it .... :D

Back