after installing two bros pma kit..no headlight.gauge lights,idiot lights

mikeys79650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 79xs650,ordered the pma kit from tc bros.....everything is installed correctly...but no headlight,no gauge lights,no idiot lights...because you have to unplug the factory harness that goes from the stator{old charging system}..to the other 6 pin white plastic plug that leads into the factory mega harness..even I know..unplug that many wires from something and something aint gonna work no mo......now no head light and other lights...I thought they said plug in and go..yeah the bike works but what?...with no lights...?????...has anybody else ran into this same problem???..and how to fix this situation...I found a guy talking about this but he knew everything it seemed about electronics and how to fix it by bypassing the relay or something..isnt there an easy fix like run some wires out of the new reg/rec up to the factory harness...oops they forgot about something like that in the destructions they sent...I even read the hughes directions on line and they also say nothin about this either..not everyone hacks up thir xs into something totally custom and rewire everything..at least I havent yet..I just want to ride this damm thing and not be stranded by a dead battery again....then when I get my house with a shop then the fun will start all over..but for now in this year....someone please help...and explain as easy as possible so I with little electrical knowledge can understand.....I am becoming to hate this bike....:wtf::banghead:....this is what kind of smiley I want to become:bike:

Last edited:
first thing I'd do is pick up the phone to 'two bros'? and ask them .:wink2:

If you have questions about our products or issues concerning your order, please feel free to contact one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service representatives at:

I have a 79xs650,ordered the pma kit from two bros.....everything is installed correctly...but no headlight,no gauge lights,no idiot lights...because you have to unplug the factory harness that goes from the stator{old charging system}..to the other 6 pin white plastic plug that leads into the factory mega harness..even I know..unplug that many wires from something and something aint gonna work no mo......now no head light and other lights...I thought they said plug in and go..yeah the bike works but what?...with no lights...?????...has anybody else ran into this same problem???..and how to fix this situation...I found a guy talking about this but he knew everything it seemed about electronics and how to fix it by bypassing the relay or something..isnt there an easy fix like run some wires out of the new reg/rec up to the factory harness...oops they forgot about something like that in the destructions they sent...I even read the hughes directions on line and they also say nothin about this either..not everyone hacks up thir xs into something totally custom and rewire everything..at least I havent yet..I just want to ride this damm thing and not be stranded by a dead battery again....then when I get my house with a shop then the fun will start all over..but for now in this year....someone please help...and explain as easy as possible so I with little electrical knowledge can understand.....I am becoming to hate this bike....:wtf::banghead:....this is what kind of smiley I want to become:bike:

When you remove the stock alternator, you no longer have the AC voltage that powers up the yellow wire leading to the Safety Relay. The Safety Relay is what switches on the headlight and meter lights once the engine starts and the alternator produces voltage.

If you want the headlight to work, you can jumper some wires at the SR. Connect a wire from the red/yellow to the blue/black at the SR. The only problem is that the headlight will be on as soon as you turn on the key, which makes for an extra battery load while you are starting the engine. You also lose the starter motor interlock.

good answer RT I had forgotten that its the 4v from the original stator that energises the headlight/ starter safety relay.:thumbsup:
You would have thought the instructions would have incuded that info. I couldn't even find PMA's for sale on two bros website let alone some tech downloads

sorry...tc bros kit...im waiting to hear back on them on how to do this on a stock 79650...when i get it ..i will post it cause everyone is having a problem with this situation....I want the elec starter and headlight,gauge lights to work...dont really care for the idiot lights[neutral..etc] I know how to find neutral or tell that my turn signals are on by looking..probally will just take that cluster off anyway....Ill be back............why im at it ....WHERE THE HELL IS THIS STARTER RELAY...any help on that would be AWESOME.....THANKS everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry...tc bros kit...im waiting to hear back on them on how to do this on a stock 79650...when i get it ..i will post it cause everyone is having a problem with this situation....I want the elec starter and headlight,gauge lights to work...dont really care for the idiot lights[neutral..etc] I know how to find neutral or tell that my turn signals are on by looking..probally will just take that cluster off anyway....Ill be back............why im at it ....WHERE THE HELL IS THIS STARTER RELAY...any help on that would be AWESOME.....THANKS everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

The Safety Relay and the starter relay are both under the right side cover.

Follow your battery positive cable. It leads right to the starter relay.
Leo

I finally got it done....It works...Tyler from tcbros chopper called me back...someone in his shop has a bone stock xs...All u have to do is hook up a lead from the positive battery terminal to a momentary switch to the yellow wire coming out of the stock harness that connnects to the old stator...Start the bike[kick or electric start] then press the momentary switch and ....volia!!!...the light and gauges light up....easy...only the neutral light doesnt come on but If u cant find neutral..what are u doin ridin...right?....anyway when u turn off the bike everything turns off...works everytime....its AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....time to go ridin!!!!!....I knew there was a easy way..........THANKS and shout out to TYLER from tcbros...U ROCK....thanks also to everyone else...im sure your advice works to...but no splicing and this is so easy..........THANKYOU EVERYONE...this forum rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never thought of that way to go. The relay latches so the headlight stays lit till you turn the key off. So adding the switch like that is a clever work around.
Leo

I finally got it done....It works...Tyler from tcbros chopper called me back...someone in his shop has a bone stock xs...All u have to do is hook up a lead from the positive battery terminal to a momentary switch to the yellow wire coming out of the stock harness that connnects to the old stator...Start the bike[kick or electric start] then press the momentary switch and ....volia!!!...the light and gauges light up....easy...only the neutral light doesnt come on but If u cant find neutral..what are u doin ridin...right?....anyway when u turn off the bike everything turns off...works everytime....its AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....time to go ridin!!!!!....I knew there was a easy way..........THANKS and shout out to TYLER from tcbros...U ROCK....thanks also to everyone else...im sure your advice works to...but no splicing and this is so easy..........THANKYOU EVERYONE...this forum rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...........hey there, i just read this and this sounds like a fantastic idea....i just need to know where to get a momentary switch, and which yellow wire your talking about....is that the single yellow wire that has the plastic shielding on it?..im nit an electrician so i am a little confused

OR replacet he cap with something like this
$23
https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-2000...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NV12QAX7T7SRCAZ2V7CD

OR this about $20
, brrmm brrmmm.

960.jpg

Shane.... take a volt ohm meter and put it on resistance or continuity for testing.... hook one side to the engine cooling fins
and touch the other side to the headlight metal ( not the paint) you should have continuity or extreamily low resistance...
you can also do that with a "trouble light" just clip the lead from the trouble light to the pos of the battery it should light up when you touch the probe to the engine fins.... and the headlight bucket....
Bob........

Back