Aftermarket Headpipe fitting OEM Muffler

ssjody

Piston Addiction
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a set of these Headpipes from MikesXS to replace the factory Headpipes? I realize the I'd have to cut off the old Headpipes and weld on the new ones which is not a concern. I am wondering if the bends on them are the same as the original and if I'd need a flange where the Headpipe attaches to the muffler. My mufflers are solid but my Head pipes are pitted pretty bad. I'd love to be able to salvage what's good and replace what's bad if it's possible.
Image 11-28-23 at 1.48 PM.jpg

Not sure I understand the question.... just wanted to point out you can get those same pipes a LOT cheaper than that.

https://yamahaxs650.com/product-category/exhaust/systems-mufflers-headpipes-gaskets-brackets/page/2/

View attachment 256142
Shhh....when theyre gone, theyre gone forever. 😆

Grandkids wanted to go out to my shop the other day...so of course Paw Paw was more than happy to accommodate.

Grandma actually came out to the mancave with them to hang out...something she does on rare occasion.

While out there, she looks on the lower railing under my loft and sees all the new header pipe sets wrapped in plastic.

She asked me... "Why in the heck do you need all these exhaust pipes and what do they go to??"! Silly woman, doesnt understand the principle of having spares, "just in case". :laugh:

Last edited:
Header pipes on my 82' are rusty pitted.... the mufflers look good.... chrome work is $$$$ ...Perhaps this are the answer.. Can I assume now doubled walled like the stock pipes..? 😎

Question for the masses... Do 1.5 inch head pipes work with stock mufflers? I mean, work well.
This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. If anyone has done this, did you have any obstacles? If so, what were they and how did you solve the problems?

I actually prefer the curvy shape of the “special” head pipes over the more straight “standard” head pipes. Once the mufflers are sawed off about here, an adapter can be stuffed into the double wall in between. Then a muffler can be clamped on.

Attachments

• IMG_6025.jpeg
    IMG_6025.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6026.jpeg
    IMG_6026.jpeg
    265.3 KB · Views: 31
You can solve the problem by getting new slip-on mufflers too, lol. These are also on sale and about the nicest aftermarket 650 muffler out there at the moment .....
Thank you and I appreciate the suggestion. I have looked at some complete exhaust systems but I think I'm gonna try and make what I've got work. I love originality in these old bikes and I'm trying to keep this bike a stock as possible. I started off thinking I'd do a complete restoration but talked myself out of it because the bike is in such good shape. I worked on my headpipes a little last night and they're not quite as bad as I thought. Again thanks!

Thank you and I appreciate the suggestion. I have looked at some complete exhaust systems but I think I'm gonna try and make what I've got work. I love originality in these old bikes and I'm trying to keep this bike a stock as possible. I started off thinking I'd do a complete restoration but talked myself out of it because the bike is in such good shape. I worked on my headpipes a little last night and they're not quite as bad as I thought. Again thanks!
just remember, around here we are really good at spending YOUR money...:smoke:

Good to hear cleaning up what you have is going to work.
" In the light of a new day" I don't believe I've ever heard or seen where stock muffs have been adapted to new single wall headers. The small end of the mentioned adapter has to slip over that 1 3/8" stock pipe on the muffler side and then over or into whatever diameter the new headers are on the big end.
It might be possible to swap out double walled headers to reuse stock muffs but I can't imagine what kind of abortion that would look like too. Anything is possible or tolerable I guess.
Now, new muffs to stock headpipes? Been there, done that with the adapter.

Back