Aftermarket ignition switch

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
43-1201_07.jpg

Can I use the tumblers out of my OEM switch and use them in a new aftermarket switch? I'd like to keep the original key. This one is available from various suppliers. Do any of you have experience with this switch?

It's hard to say whether your original wafers will swap into the aftermarket switch. You'd just have to compare them and try it. Yamaha used a couple different wafer sizes over the years. It's possible the whole lock cylinder might swap but again, that's something you'd have to test fit to find out. I'm most familiar with the mid '70s and early '80s Yamaha locks. There was a wafer size change around 1980 when the key codes went to ones starting with a letter. The '70s wafers had 2 bumps on the side and were wider than the '80s smooth sided wafers .....

H2xs9gF.jpg

The earlier wider "2 bump" wafers won't fit in the later lock cylinders, the wafer slots in them aren't wide enough. The later narrower smooth sided wafers will retrofit into an earlier lock cylinder though.

I see you have 4 650s listed in your "sig". Which one is the new switch for? Your E and 2F models would most likely have the earlier "2 bump" wafers. Your H and K models would have the later smooth sided wafers.

I see you have 4 650s listed in your "sig". Which one is the new switch for? Your E and 2F models would most likely have the earlier "2 bump" wafers. Your H and K models would have the later smooth sided wafers.

The problem child is a 1980 XS1100SG. The lock cylinder is falling apart. It still functions, but it has seen better days.

upload_2019-6-6_11-19-16.png

The door with the arrow is broken. The ring highlighted in yellow is missing. This bike has electrical corrosion issues. I just cleaned this switch again.

1980 is right around the wafer change time. It could have either type. If it has a 4 number key code, it would have the "2 bump" wafers. If it has a key code starting with a letter, it would have the later smooth sided wafers.

My buddy has a 1980 SPII 650. It came originally with 4 number keys. He lost the seat lock, put a MikesXS replacement tank on, and swapped on a later letter key code ignition switch. Now none of his keys match and he must carry 3, lol. We're trying to match some of them up but so far haven't acquired any matching lock cylinders we can swap in.

The aftermarket ignition switch I have has a key with the notches in the key opposite of the original key so just swapping the wafers is a no go. The keys are physically different.

Not sure if the whole tumbler will swap but I don't think so.

Back