Aftermarket Yamaha Battery

I have a xs650 76 and 77 and am looking for a very lightweight, durable and reliable battery. Any suggestions?
Hi YamaYam and welcome. Wherever on Earth you are.
Note that we don't want to know where you live just because we are nosy but also because XS650s sold in different areas ain't quite the same.
I notice you didn't add "affordable" to your list of options.
Just as well.
Lightweight, durable and reliable batteries that'll work with an XS650 and are even kinda compatible with it's spiky charging system are certainly available.
Using the list's "search" button will find all kinds of them.
But affordable? not so much. Prices start at twice the price of a lead-acid battery and keep climbing.
What I found to be the most economical is to stick with a normal lead/acid until it dies then toss it and buy another.

Hi YamaYam and welcome. Wherever on Earth you are.
Note that we don't want to know where you live just because we are nosy but also because XS650s sold in different areas ain't quite the same.
I notice you didn't add "affordable" to your list of options.
Just as well.
Lightweight, durable and reliable batteries that'll work with an XS650 and are even kinda compatible with it's spiky charging system are certainly available.
Using the list's "search" button will find all kinds of them.
But affordable? not so much. Prices start at twice the price of a lead-acid battery and keep climbing.
What I found to be the most economical is to stick with a normal lead/acid until it dies then toss it and buy another.

Thanks.

Im interested I CCA increase and weight reduction. Those lead batteries weigh a ton

Thanks.

Im interested I CCA increase and weight reduction. Those lead batteries weigh a ton

Nah,
10 to 15 lbs max. You can lose that much and more weight by reducing your grocery intake.
I run a car battery in my sidecar where it's heavy weight serves as ballast and it has perhaps 10 times the CCA of the 14A/H bike battery.
Problem with getting more CCA is that no matter how little it weighs it takes a battery that's BIGGER than the stocker.
I suppose you could run a second identical lightweight battery connected in parallel to the stock sized one in the battery carrier to get
more CCA but then your battery cost is gonna double.

For durable and reliable (hey, 2 out of three ain't bad!@) I have standardized on Motobatt. 2 year warranty, around $100 for almost all sizes. Sealed AGM, no leaky acid. Have 6 of them now, the oldest is 4 years old and I'm getting ready to replace it. While it's still working fine, I generally replace them at 3-4 years.

Motobatt%20Batteries.jpg
']
Motobatt%20Batteries.jpg
[/URL]

Nah,
10 to 15 lbs max. You can lose that much and more weight by reducing your grocery intake.
I run a car battery in my sidecar where it's heavy weight serves as ballast and it has perhaps 10 times the CCA of the 14A/H bike battery.
Problem with getting more CCA is that no matter how little it weighs it takes a battery that's BIGGER than the stocker.
I suppose you could run a second identical lightweight battery connected in parallel to the stock sized one in the battery carrier to get
more CCA but then your battery cost is gonna double.

Gaaawwwwwddddd Frederick - cut the poor lad some slack!

...although, I must admit that I was thinking the same thing. I work with the auto industry and the only time weight really counts is when the OEMs are doing a CAFE test (unfortunately). Everyday people get all excited about lightweight this and carbon fibre that - and in the process, they usually miss the heaviest single component on the bike (or car) which has the most prospect for reduction - the lump of meat doing the driving.

Anyhow, a conventional lead acid battery weighs somewhere around 15-20 lb and as you say, a reduced grocery intake would save that much at NO cost at all - in most of us on this forum - surely, I KNOW that I could loose that much and not miss it.

Cheers,

Pete

Yes mottobat. I have 1 in my xs 1b, and another in my suzuki. Top notch. Ive left the key on 2 times on the xs1b. After a recharge, battery showed no ill effects from being deader than a popcorn fart. Spendy, but worth the price
Side note....if i lose weight, my bike is quicker. But damn those cheeseburgers are good!!

Gaaawwwwwddddd Frederick - cut the poor lad some slack!
...although, I must admit that I was thinking the same thing. I work with the auto industry and the only time weight really counts is when the OEMs are doing a CAFE test (unfortunately). Everyday people get all excited about lightweight this and carbon fibre that - and in the process, they usually miss the heaviest single component on the bike (or car) which has the most prospect for reduction - the lump of meat doing the driving.
Anyhow, a conventional lead acid battery weighs somewhere around 15-20 lb and as you say, a reduced grocery intake would save that much at NO cost at all - in most of us on this forum - surely, I KNOW that I could loose that much and not miss it.
Cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete,
yes, I too wonder about the OP's motivation.
However, I was merely guessing about the battery weight, and if you reckon the stock XS650 battery weighs 15 - 20 lbs, so were you.
I weighed my XS650's YUASA 12N14-3A on our electronic kitchen scale. The battery weighs 9.3 lbs.
Mind you, that battery ain't well and has very little electricity left in it.
2 days after being taken off the charger it reads 8.4 Volts.
How much does electricity weigh?

For durable and reliable (hey, 2 out of three ain't bad!@) I have standardized on Motobatt. 2 year warranty, around $100 for almost all sizes. Sealed AGM, no leaky acid. Have 6 of them now, the oldest is 4 years old and I'm getting ready to replace it. While it's still working fine, I generally replace them at 3-4 years.

Motobatt%20Batteries.jpg
Hi Pete,
yes, I too wonder about the OP's motivation.
However, I was merely guessing about the battery weight, and if you reckon the stock XS650 battery weighs 15 - 20 lbs, so were you.
I weighed my XS650's YUASA 12N14-3A on our electronic kitchen scale. The battery weighs 9.3 lbs.
Mind you, that battery ain't well and has very little electricity left in it.
2 days after being taken off the charger it reads 8.4 Volts.
How much does electricity weigh?

Ive been researching. I can get a antigravity that weighs 2lbs.

YY - I gotta be honest with you and I have no axe to grind here - but saving 6 lb isn't worth much in a 400 lb motorcycle unless the saving comes at a pretty small cost.

Fred: yup - I'm not much of a guesser....I guess...

Having said that - I would venture to say that electricity is generally pretty light - except in Ontario under the Libs who have driven up the cost to absolutely nutty levels. It is so expensive here that they must have switched over the heavier grade electricity because I can't see any other reason for the huge cost hikes.

YY - I gotta be honest with you and I have no axe to grind here - but saving 6 lb isn't worth much in a 400 lb motorcycle unless the saving comes at a pretty small cost.

Having said that - I would venture to say that electricity is generally pretty light - except in Ontario under the Libs who have driven up the cost to absolutely nutty levels. It is so expensive here that they must have switched over the heavier grade electricity because I can't see any other reason for the huge cost hikes.

fair point. However I do want a stronger battery that gives me a little more of a kick when starting. CCA

Hi Pete,
how did you get your XS650 down to 400lbs?
My Heritage weighs 220Kg which is 464lbs and that's what the mfrs brochure admits to, betcha the wet weight is pushing 500lbs.
And the weight-saving obtained with an expensive lightweight battery can be achieved at no cost by not running that final gallon
of gas into your tank as you fill up.
About Ontario's soaring power costs, yes, the Libs jacked up the rates but it was 100 years of bad planning that caused the problem.

Hi Fred: I filled the tires with hydrogen - and that dropped the weight.....;)

Some of those expensive light weight batteries won't hold up well f your charging system isn't up to snuff. The manufacturer won't stand behind thw warranty if the bike is not on their approved list.
If your charging system is up to par and your E-start is too, then the stock battery works fine. It does on my 750 kitted 75. I tried a couple of those very expensive lithium ion batteries. The last one had 0ver 350 cca's. It self destructed after a few months and the manufacturer said tough luck, your bike's not on the list.
I now get AGM batteries of Ebay for around $60. Work fine, if they crap out the seller just sends me another.
Leo

Max Pete, do not use hydrogen!!! It is heavier than electricity and on detonation much louder than a popcorn fart!!!!!! Must go, the turtle is poking its head out......

Back