1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Ah hates...I say, Ah HATES chicken theives!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Downeaster, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

[​IMG]

Ballsy little fucker. Went down to get the eggs and the chickens were all a-flutter and one had been drug halfway out of the fence and killed.

Didn't see him, did hear some rustling in the rock pile down the fence a ways. Happened to spy him hiking it for the junk pile down under the big maple.

Ran up (okay, walked quickly, my running days are long over...) and got the shotgun and went back down expecting he was long gone. Thumped and banged around, nothing.

Then the chickens went off again, so I headed back up to the coop, poked around in the junk on the barn side of the shed. Nothing. Chickens went off AGAIN and I popped back behind the coop and he was on the other side trying to get through the fence. KA-BOOM!

Assuming this is the same one that killed 10 of my birds a couple of months ago. As long as his family isn't around we should be good for a while.

2. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

3. Downeaster

[​IMG]

An ounce and an eighth of #6 out of a 28" Modified doesn't take a lot of skill at 20 feet...

4. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

5. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

But how's the fence ?

MaxPete likes this.
  6. Downeaster

I useta have an orange hunting hat with a REALLY tall crown like that. Some wiseass put "E. Fudd" across the front of it with a wide tip marker...

7. Downeaster

Chicken wire. No harm, no foul.

8. ThatXS650Guy

ThatXS650Guy More Sparky than Speed Racer XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

How satisfying that must be. We have a hawk that goes after ours but I can't do anything about it.

9. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge, is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Careful when you go pokin' that thang in strange junk piles....

1304071076_daffy-with-gun.gif

10. Downeaster

It was, actually.

I KNOW I've lost birds to an Eagle and a couple to a Great Horned Owl (Came face-to-face with it INSIDE the coop. That'll test the tensile strength of the ol' grommet!) and I strongly suspect a couple to hawks of one variety or another. Like you, nothing to be done, they're protected.

Dumping that weasel was a little payback. I've also sent a couple of foxes to their reward over the years. And ventilated my bulk diesel tank going for a third, but that's another story...:eek::confused:

11. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty & Demi - I suggest but THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That wascaly weasel!

12. 59Tebo

59Tebo 59Tebo Top Contributor

Yup. They're highly allergic to lead. Low-brass #8 skeet loads will do the trick too, at close range, with a high pellet count and minimal ricochet potential around those stone walls.

thuban, Mailman and MaxPete like this.
  13. Aye, varmints. The vultures around here have a Pavlovs response to the crack of a .22. I've yet to serve them mink or weasel.