Alfredo's Build Thread

so. sorry for the delay amigos. i have moved house and worked very little on the bike. i have rebuilt the clutch and kickstart:
P1030773.jpg

P1030837.jpg

and started to clean all the paint of the motor.
P1030838.jpg

Also, got a buddy of mine to lace the wheels for me. This is a 16" rear and a 21" front. Both rims and spokes are from Mikes and the tires are new Avons.
IMG_0105.jpg

Have had the cylinders machine and head rebuilt with new valves and seals. Will update some more soon.

Those wheels do look good! And why do you need Sundie to be your Canadian parts mule?

Those wheels do look good! And why do you need Sundie to be your Canadian parts mule?

MikesUS was out of the 21" rim, 650 direct had it (located in canada). 650 direct said they wouldn't ship to me because they had an agreement with Mikes not to even though mikes didnt have the product and had no clue when they would. Reached out to the forum for help and Sundie volunteered to buy it and ship it to his place, then ship it to me in the states.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Just picked up the frame and swing arm from the powder coater. Walked in as it was coming out of the oven . . . . . 'twas a great feeling. Going to be a long weekend.

more to come soon

Post a pic of the frame please, considering the powdercoat vs 2-pac for mine now.

Cheers.

I will get some more pics tomorrow of the new setup and powder. I can tell you this though . . . the guy that did my powder did a great job and W O W. . . . I was cringing about paying for it, but it is absolutely worth it in the end. It looks wet, all the time. :thumbsup:

Wow...Alfredo. It looks great!! This is your second bike, right??

/BigBoreSwede

Thanks, but nope. This is my first bike. I grew up with my father showing me how to make rusty old cars less rusty. . . . never touched a bike until this 650. In fact, still don't even know how to drive one :shrug:

ok. so here are some updates for you guys:

first, here is my father. he has been helping a lot. present and past. deserves to be in the spotlight ;) :
P1030954.jpg

next is the new pistons that I put in. these are 3rd over pistons and the engine is much cleaner now then when this shot was taken:
P1030955.jpg

head redone and installed:
P1030959.jpg

I have been trying to figure out what new shocks to get for some time now and just don't have the budget. I took the rust ones that came with the bike, rubbed off as much rust as I could then gave them a two hour bath in naval jelly today:
P1040038.jpg

here is what they looked like done. actually cleaned up a lot. it's hard to tell in these photos, but they went from nasty looking to nice and shiny:
P1040052.jpg

the same goes for risers when budget is concerned. I am just out of moolah for this build. I am sure everyone here knows how that goes. So, I have 1" bars and I figured I would just cram them in the original risers. I put them in the vise today and filed them close enough to fit with a few washers:
P1040049.jpg

and finally, here is what I got done today. steering head on, new bearings and new/used +4 over forks from Tia813:
P1040043.jpg

Hotdog, here is a close up of the powder. It looks great. Dusty here, but it's worth it if you get someone good:
P1040039.jpg

I am hoping to get back out in the garage tomorrow and get more done. I was going to get the swing arm on, but can't find what I did with those crisscross etched bushings for it :umm:.

Let me know what you guys think.

ahhh fresh powder coat, i remember when i got my frame done, i think i stood there for an hour just staring at it.

i would recommend chasing all threads with a tap if you're able. i had a couple bolts bind up pretty good a few times. also, a small drill mounted wire brush is your friend cleaning up stray coating, grinding stones as well. make sure you clean up all areas associated with electrical grounds, powder coat acts like an insulator.

naval jelly cleaned up the shocks pretty good? i'll have to remember that, the old lady's '81 650 has some shitty looking shocks

got some #00 steel wool from ace today and cleaned up the front forks a little today. here is the closest one done. I sprayed penetrating fluid in the wool and scrubbed my heart out:
P1040062.jpg

got the swing arm rebuild with all new rods, bushings, seals and installed it:
P1040064.jpg

also got the front wheel on today:
P1040069.jpg

the neighbors child also snapped a spy shot of me:
P1040072.jpg

So, didn't get much done today, but hope to get the rear wheel on and shocks this week. then wiring and engine install. thanks for keeping up with me and more to come soon.

Last edited:
That looks nice man!!
Hope you´ll have as much fun riding it as it is to build it......myself I can´t really tell:laugh:
Wintertime you want to ride...summertime you want to foolin around in the garage...stupid, huh.

/BigBoreSwede

thanks guys!

I am trying to get this thing together quick so I can see if the motor will fire and run good :shrug:. Also, since I don't know how to ride these two wheeled beasts yet; I never test drove it. No clue about the gears. It ran fine, but smoked a ton and the carbs were seriously gummy and leaking.

With all the warm weather, I have been anxious to get it to the finish line and see how it performs. :cheers:

Back