Alfredo's Build Thread

The tubes are 6+ from Forking by Frank. I picked them up used, but they are great.
Bumping an older thread, but a new one might not get responses. How do you think the bike rides with the 6 over forks? I'm thinking of extending the front forks on the rigid project I just picked up for a 60's look and wasn't sure how it would handle. Don't want to if its going to make it a twitchy mess.

Also do you have any straight on side pics to see the stance? Realize this isn't a hardtail but it could give a general idea.

"tweak bars" were popular back in the day. The stock front end counts on the fender to help keep everything lined up. Add 6" to the tubes and remove the fender............

Old fart story; I bought a hardtail CB750 back in the day it had 12" over tubes which probably fried the crank from oil starvation. I cut the tubes back to 6" over raked the frame out at the neck and rebuilt the engine. It just had a "cool" fiberglass mini fender. For a chopper it handled fine. The front wheel liked to "fall over" at parking lot speeds. above that it was stable.

Bumping an older thread, but a new one might not get responses. How do you think the bike rides with the 6 over forks? I'm thinking of extending the front forks on the rigid project I just picked up for a 60's look and wasn't sure how it would handle. Don't want to if its going to make it a twitchy mess.

Also do you have any straight on side pics to see the stance? Realize this isn't a hardtail but it could give a general idea.

I don't really have any at the moment and the bike isn't all back together yet. Should be soon though and I'll be able to help you out with some pictures. As far as how it rides, I like it. A lot. I am 6'6" though. It's really comfortable. I think I needs to rebuild the front tubes at some point or at the very least, change the oil. But for now its great.

"tweak bars" were popular back in the day. The stock front end counts on the fender to help keep everything lined up. Add 6" to the tubes and remove the fender............

Old fart story; I bought a hardtail CB750 back in the day it had 12" over tubes which probably fried the crank from oil starvation. I cut the tubes back to 6" over raked the frame out at the neck and rebuilt the engine. It just had a "cool" fiberglass mini fender. For a chopper it handled fine. The front wheel liked to "fall over" at parking lot speeds. above that it was stable.

Gary, keep the stories coming :). I think it handles quiet nicely. However, this is the only motorcycle I have ever ridden though. So it's hard for me to gauge it against something else.

Nice build, we should get a get together sometime. There's a few of us around here

Agreed!

Did you need spacers for the fork springs with the forks? I saw they sell 6 over forks on mikes xs but no spacers. Do the stock springs work?

Using 6 over tubes means you need toadd a 6 inch spacer to what you have. Cut them from PVC pipe. 6 inches more oil too.
Leo

Back