Alright Dent, you're out of here!

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
No, no, no not THAT Dent! He's a keeper...
These dents: points cover had seen some action.
points cover dented.jpg
Fender had a big one front and center. And at the back (not shown) where it had mashed into a crash bar a few times.
fender dent.jpgfront dent.jpg
Going
dent going.jpg inside dent going.jpg
Start with the rubber hammer, work from the backside, outside of the dent in, work slowly and methodically, light blows, a little at a time, round and round the edge gradually reducing the size of the caved in area. Just worked sitting on a bucket, fender upside down on my calves. work from the back flip and check often. helps to have the back really clean so you can see the dents/waves from that side too. Then switch to the rounded hardwood drift/ hit it with small hammer, again light blows. You want to avoid going too far, having to work it back, that stretches the metal (more). for deep pointed holes and ridges a 1/2" by 1/2" slightly rounded corners aluminum drift/ small hammer.
Fender came out better n I hoped for.

dent be gone!.jpg
Take an old part dent it, work it back out for practice before tackling a "gotta look good" part.
It's a lot easier when you have good access to the back side....

Worked the points cover on a rubber block and for final small adjustments just a few folds of paper towel on a wood block as a backing.
that cover came out "better", it's heavier metal, complex shape, had creases, scrapes, cave ins at feature lines.
points cover.jpg

I made this ages ago for taking out dings in chromed bits.
The top of an old stair post.
I thought when I first made it about drilling a hole and pouring lead into it for some weight, but it's made from oak, so it has a pretty good heft to it without the lead.
So no lead... just the wood.
The nice part is if you beat it up, you just sand it out smooth again.
I'd bet the "shed of ill repute" has within it the makings of such a fine tool. :sneaky:

1664513882976.png

Last edited:
DSC07541.JPG

Excellent job Gary, and more good ideas from the other responders to this thread.
I have worked on many dented fenders, never very successfully. My dents always seem to occur where there is a tack-welded reinforcement underneath, or where those little tack-welded wire harness guide things are.
Above is my solution for a daily rider. Hammer the dent out as best you can, and then cover it with a sticker. Looks very respectable with very little work.
Next time I'll try everyone's suggestions.

I made this ages ago for taking out dings in chromed bits.
The top of an old stair post.
I thought when I first made it about drilling a hole and pouring lead into it for some weight, but it's made from oak, so it has a pretty good heft to it without the lead.
So no lead... just the wood.
The nice part is if you beat it up, you just sand it out smooth again.
I'd bet the "shed of ill repute" has within it the makings of such a fine tool. :sneaky:

View attachment 226507
Jim, your newel post hammer reminded me of a dolly I made years ago. It’s a trailer hitch I cut the shank off of and polished the bottom. I drilled a hole through to put a handle on it so I could get it into tight spaces. I had a specific use for it when I made it but don’t remember what it was, something on a 36 ford PU fire wall I think.
24E24F6C-B173-450A-B1A5-0A73BCD56E9C.jpeg
B622F46B-EBDE-473D-A4F4-EB07372733DF.jpeg
F34CAF66-485E-435E-8EAD-F2B7891B641C.jpeg
3956ECB1-6C8D-4322-B818-B5EE0902C4CF.jpeg

Jim, your newel post hammer reminded me of a dolly I made years ago. It’s a trailer hitch I cut the shank off of and polished the bottom. I drilled a hole through to put a handle on it so I could get it into tight spaces. I had a specific use for it when I made it but don’t remember what it was, something on a 36 ford PU fire wall I think.View attachment 226744View attachment 226745View attachment 226746View attachment 226747

That thing looks like some sort of medieval war club. I'll bet it would smart if somebody cuffed you on the noggin with that!

Back