Alternate sprockets

plane_ben

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm in need of gearing down my 23" rear tire. I used the stock gearing in a 17/32 combo and it's pretty tall. Nice on the highway, but too tall for around town where it is normally ridden. Can't go bigger on the rear sprocket because of the fender clearance. So I want to drop the front sprocket one tooth to a 16. Looking at mikesxs I see they sell a 530 pitch 16 tooth front for an XS400. Looks like the same output shaft splines in the picture. Can anybody confirm this will fit an XS650 or not? I've tried looking up cross use information on the web, but can't seem to find the right combination of key words. Asked around all the local bike shops Saturday, no-one had an XS counter sprocket in stock so I couldn't compare. Just would like some first hand knowledge before I order one up. Thanks

I found this Ben
xs400
full

xs650
full

link for sprocket

Thanks Carbon. I'll go get my calipers out and check a spare 650 sprocket.

Edit: Won't work. 650 is 6mm on spline, 26mm, and 30mm on spline diameters.

Jeez! I didn't even see the second sprocket Carbon. Thanks. I'm going to get my parts guy to order that tomorrow.

Well JT don't have a 16 tooth anymore. They list it, but don't have them and are not making them. :banghead: So, I bought a 530/16 tooth counter sprocket for a Honda and started machining. Going to push the hole out some more, but ran out of time today. Next will be turning down the Yamaha sprocket. I need to make a shaft I can put the sprocket on and tack weld in place.

IMG_0372_zps1d98ca75.jpg

Well that sux . It's damn cool that you can mod a sprocket :thumbsup:
I think you can get a sprocket from rebel gears.
I really like rebel gears they made a custom rear sprocket for me. price was good. I'll take a look see. for future references
( I just checked they only have 17-18 )

Well, I finished my 16 tooth sprocket. Know why nobody makes one that small now.:laugh: They are almost to small diameter to work. I was sliding the chain and sprocket on and couldn't get it to sit all the way against the output shaft spacer. It was being held up by the chain hitting the seal boss. Got my carbide bit out and clearance the seal boss and got it on.

This picture shows the clearance I cut. It's the bright spot top of the chain.

IMG_0374_zps57c6b8b4.jpg

This is my modified sprocket.

IMG_0373_zps89b8c8af.jpg

Now I need to get my tank painted and back on the road.:bike:

All that work, wouldn't it have been easier to rework the fender for more clearance?
Leo

All that work, wouldn't it have been easier to rework the fender for more clearance?

Maybe at mock-up, but after everything is powder coated and painted, it would be a pain in the ass.
My chain was the limiting factor. Because it is a permanent master link, I didn't want to cut that off. Also a bigger rear sprocket would require more chain length and two masters to work. Didn't want to go that route either. Easiest solution was a smaller counter shaft sprocket and push the rear tire back a little. Didn't realize they didn't make that small until I started looking.
The hardest part of this whole process was turning the stock counter shaft sprocket down. Boy was that some hard shit.:laugh: We will see how it works out in a few days once the tank is painted and back on.

That's something I've never understood. People get half way through a project then do the make pretty work then find out they didn't properly finish the build.
I always thought it was much better to get the bike built and rideable then ride it a year or so to find out if anything needs adjustment, fix what you find then tear it down and make it pretty.
Oh, by the way 17x32 is not the stock sprockets. Here in the states 17x34 is stock. Some places got a 17x33, some a 17x36.
Leo

The only way you can find out if you can do something is to try.

That quote is from your signature line.

This build is my third one. So far each build was mocked up, tore down and finished to my liking. This current one didn't get ridden first because of the way I had to do the engine (easier to paint apart than all together).

Bottom line, you build them your way, I'll build mine my way.

Interesting , I have 3 bikes and they all have 34 tooth rear sprockets and no fender interferance

Maybe I'm not being clear with the fender clearance issue. I'll see if I can explain it better.

When the bike was mocked up I set the chain adjusters about a third of the way back. Then I set the fender as close to the rear tire as I could. My chain was purchased and cut to length and master link installed. It is a permanent master so unless I wanted to cut it out for future chain adjustments, for all intents it's a fixed length chain. The size of the rear or front sprocket is not relevant, it's where the wheel is and the set length of the chain.

Now when it came down to riding the bike I realized it was very tall gearing running a 17/34 combo (I know I said 17/32 before, but that was me not counting the rear and assuming it was 32), and the 23" rear tire. To run a bigger rear sprocket would require pushing the rear tire forward, thus hitting the fender. Or cutting the chain master link, adding chain and running two master links. To match my o-ring chain would cost me another $75.00 or so with two master links added to that.
So I set out to find a 16 tooth counter sprocket, as I found out they aren't available.
So I made my own. I know this may be hard to follow for some of you used to just purchasing parts and assembling them. But there are those few still among us that were taught to improvise and come up with a solution. That's what I did.

For the record. It was a success, and my gearing is just about right. Still a little on the tall side, but I'm not slipping my clutch starting out in first gear.

Back