Alternator question

Jirish650

"We cant stop here, this is bat country"
Reaction score
In my current build, I replaced the alternator brushes with new and I have been starting the re wiring process. Through this process I found that my grounds were energized, as I worked my way down through the factory harness found that the problem is my alternator. I noticed that both points of contacts on the brushes with ignition on, were energized and after removing the stator off the engine, only the brown wire which is supposed to be powered was and not the ground the way it should be. Any one else come across this problem? I know in the older style without the coil pick up had to have nylon screw but this one is an 1980 and did not have nylon screws to begin with, any info would be helpful, thanks.
maxresdefault.jpg

Forget every thing you have read about nylon screws on alternators.........

These are used only if you have a points model bike using a points model alternator and are going to wire in an 80-83 TCI factory combined SS Reg/Rect

A type Alternators with TCI ignition, 80-83US, have both brushes powered.........
Stator 3 copy 1.jpgtci basic wiring Diagrahm - Copy copy w.jpg
B type alternators, any points ignition, 70-79US,have one brush powered and one earth
points stator 3 copy 1.jpg xs8 78SE crop 1 copy Text.jpg

Some information about your bike would help

Forget every thing you have read about nylon screws on alternators.........

These are used only if you have a points model bike using a points model alternator and are going to wire in an 80-83 TCI factory combined SS Reg/Rect

A type Alternators with TCI ignition, 80-83US, have both brushes powered.........
View attachment 147072View attachment 147074
B type alternators, any points ignition, 70-79US,have one brush powered and one earth
View attachment 147073 View attachment 147071

Some information about your bike would help
Yes I am aware of the differences in those years, but find it odd that both sides are energized with the ignition on like they needed the separation of the nylon screws. I double checked my other bike and just the inner brush(brown wire) was energized with just the ignition on and green(ground) likenit should be, both are and 80/81, I have never come across this problem before. Thanks for input

Well, the outer brush on the '80 and later alternators is supposed to be a controlled ground, controlled by the regulator. So, I suppose it would show power flowing if the regulator was grounding it. Maybe your regulator is faulty? I don't think the regulator is supposed to ground that brush with just the key on, only once running and the system demands alternator output.

On my 80, I didn't check with key on/engine off but with key on/engine on, my original regulator-rectifier and two spares were all bad and all three failed green wire grounded so all there were providing constant full charge.

Back