Alto 8-pack clutch kits

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
I don't know if any one would be interested but I just found a source for the Alto friction plates part#094700-250, which are the 2.49mm thick friction plates. I was thinking of putting together a few sets (with the extra needed steel plate) and putting them up for sale here. If my source is right on the pricing it looks like it will be about $70 (for 8 friction plates and 1 steel plate) shipped in the lower 48. If there is enough interested I will order enough for 5 sets. So if any one is interested let me know. I plan on ordering them next week (they say it will take about 4 weeks for delivery) once they arrive I will get with the interested parties to arrange payment and get shipping addresses.

Well it looks as though I have interest in 3 sets. I will be ordering the friction plates on Tuesday. I am going to order 5 sets, enough to have 4 sets available for sale and 1 for myself, unless I get more interest before Tuesday.

Okay I just got off the phone with a rep at Alto and here is the info I got as to the friction plates, which is very promising.

My questions to them were:
1. What friction material do you use on the friction plates for the Yamaha XS650 and how does it compare to OEM friction material?
2. Are there any special instructions for soaking and/or installation of these friction plates?
3. What kind of expansion will result from soaking if applicable?

Their responses were:
Question # 1 - we use our Red Eagle racing friction material on this friction plate which is also used in Harley clutches and up to 3000HP Drag Race clutches. It will exceed the performance of the OEM material in all areas including heat resitance.
Question # 2 - we recommend that you soak the frictions in the oil that they are going to operate in for a minimum of 20 minutes
Question # 3 - the expansion due to soaking is minimal, less than .001" per friction. Our target thickness specification is .098" +/-.002"

In light of the information that I received from Alto, regarding their friction plates, I am going to be ordering 100 plates (enough for 12 kits and a few spares) on Tuesday to be put into kits. I will receive the plates in approx 4 weeks and will get them ready to ship as soon as I can.

If you have any questions about these kits I am offering please feel free to PM me here or email me at ippytattoo@live.com. If you email me please put "xs650.com 8-pack clutch" in the subject line.

Hi ippytattoo. kbtoy here I email you about the clutch pack.I hope to get one of the first sets.I hope you are getting my messages. Thanks

Just a quick update for all of those that are interested or have been watching this for developements. I have parts on the way and with any luck will have these kits ready to ship out by Monday. The additional new OEM steel plates will be here today and the friction plates will be here tomorrow or Friday. That will give me a couple of days to inspect all of the pieces and post pictures for your viewing pleasure. I will also be putting together 1 kit with the inner hub and the outer basket for anyone with a later ('78 on) model, that will be $120 shipped with no core or $100 shipped with your core. I am working on a write up of exactly what machining will be required to put an Alto 8-pack clutch on these newer clutches. It should be very little machining to the inner hub but I will post that up later with pics. As soon as I get the parts in and inspected I will be contacting all those that have said they want one for payment and shipping instructions.

Alright, I got in the friction plates today and had an opportunity to test fit each one on my spare clutch hub and outer basket and they fit perfectly. Let me say that I am pretty impressed with the way these plates look. We will have to wait to see what the performance is like but I doubt I will be anything but satisfied. The actual friction material is slightly thicker than OEM but the backing plate is thinner which gives us the 2.5 mm thick friction plate.

Here are couple of quick pics of the friction plates

full

full

The first few sets of clutch kits went out on Monday. I got a total of 12 sets in my initial order and have 5 sets left. These include 8 Alto 2.50mm friction plates and 1 OEM steel plate for conversion of the '74 to '79 7 plate clutches to an 8 plate clutch with NO MACHINING. If you have the later 6 plate clutch there is a very small amount of machining that is needed along with an additional steel plate - I am going to be posting up a write up on that in a few days (first I have to find a pic of a later clutch boss without the spring loaded dampener as I didn't get a pic before I had the machining done). If you are interested let me know I can ship them out within 2 business days as long as I have them in stock. If I don't have them in stock I can get more friction plates in about 1 week. I prefer paypal but I can make other arrangements if needed. My paypal address is ippytattoo@cableone.net

Okay here is a brief run down of what is needed to convert the later (late '78-'83) spring loaded clutches to an Alto 8-pack clutch. If you have access to a lathe or a good machine shop it is quick and inexpensive. Sorry I did not get any pictures of the inner clutch boss prior to machining, maybe someone can post up a pic, but I do have a simple drawing of the profile so that there is at least some representation of what was done. This guide is written assuming everyone knows how to access the clutch and remove the inner clutch boss.

1. Remove - ring, clutch boss (item #8); plate, clutch 2 (item #9); spring, clutch boss (item #7) and plate, seat (item #6)

2. Machine or have the inner clutch boss from original to like the modified clutch boss in the attached diagrams.

3. Re-install modified inner clutch boss.

4. You can probably re-use the plate, clutch 2 but mine had a groove on the bottom side and I used another of the regular steel plates.

5. Install Alto clutch plates and steel plates starting with a Alto plate and alternating with the steel plates.

6. Re-install pressure plate, springs and screws. Button up the RH side cover, fill with oil and have fun.

There is no need for any machining of the outer basket or the back side of the inner clutch hub. All machining that needs to be done is as shown in the diagrams and the finished picture.

Attachments

• CLUTCH.png
    CLUTCH.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 611
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 509
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 573
  • Machined inner clutch boss.jpg
    Machined inner clutch boss.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Quick update. Clutch kits are back in stock and ready to ship. I have 8 with new OEM steel disks and 2 with used known good steel disks. If anyone is interested PM me. They are (prices include shipping in the U.S.) $70 for the ones with the new steel disk and $65 for the ones with the used steel disks. I also have 1 inner clutch hub if you are interested and have a later style clutch. It is $40 shipped in the U.S.

My experience so far has been great. Admittedly only 70 miles. But I came to the game with a known problem. Trying to wring out the higher rpm's in 5th (above 5-5.5K) on an incline the clutch would slip. Requiring me to back off the throttle to regain engagement.
I've tried stronger springs(Mike's waste of time and $).
I could have tried stronger springs from another supplier, different clutch plates. etc. and so forth. Cost comparison and trouble were thunk upon.
Instead I went with Ippy's find.
The only difference with the stock plates so far is no slippage.
No excessive grabbing, the response is same to me.
Time will tell more. And I'll update as I have more experience with them.

WER, glad you are having a positive experience with these and thanks for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated. Keep me posted and as always if you need something or have some more feedback I am all ears. :thumbsup:

***PRICE DROP***

$60 shipped in the U.S.

I need to sell these to free up the money I have in inventory. At this price I am just breaking even. Help me free up some cash for other projects. I have 8 sets with 1 new steel plate. If you were interested but on the fence this is the time to buy.

recived mine today.look good but wont be fitting them for a couple of weeks so will add feed back then. damm should have waited for the price drop.....:doh:

Only 4 kits left. When these are gone I am going to hold off on getting more friction plates so if you want them this is what I got.

Back