Alto 8 pack clutch kits

***PRICE DROP***

$60 shipped in the U.S.

I need to sell these to free up the money I have in inventory. At this price I am just breaking even. Help me free up some cash for other projects. I have 8 sets with 1 new steel plate. If you were interested but on the fence this is the time to buy.

Only 4 kits left. When these are gone I am going to hold off on getting more friction plates so if you want them this is what I got.

Ippy, Gonna do more? did they work out well, goods and bads? An 82 is slipping under power.... and a 750 kitted 79 is too.

Ippy, Gonna do more? did they work out well, goods and bads? An 82 is slipping under power.... and a 750 kitted 79 is too.

I spoke with him awhile back he said he might do a 2nd go around in Aug. I will definitely be ordering another kit. I have them in my built up 700cc :thumbsup:and they hold strong!

Sorry for the late response guys, and yes I will be doing more of these I just had to use all of my spare funds to pay for my sons schooling but now that it is all paid for I am going to be ordering another bulk quantity of these in about 2 weeks.

gggGary, I have had nothing but good performance out of these clutch plates and I ride my scoot like I stole it so you should have a positive experience with them as well. I also had a problem of bad slipping under hard acceleration but that has gone by the wayside, although it may not be a bad idea to look at replacing your springs (you probably already knew that though). I don't know if you read my write up of what modifications are needed for the later "spring loaded" inner hubs but if you want to use these in a later clutch you may take a look at it but then again I bet you have a few older style inner hubs laying around just begging for an 8-pack clutch.

RMS, glad to hear you are having the same experience with these that I am. I will post up as soon as I have more kits available.

josh, I will let you know as soon as I get them in.

As always send me a PM to confirm you want these so i can keep track of who is interested. I am also still doing the hydraulic clutch conversions but I have not been pushing that one much as I was waiting to hear from people who have already purchased them to get their feedback but I guess since I have not heard anything negative about it they must be doing well.

I am going to be ordering friction and steel plates on Tuesday so I need to get a head count on how many of each to buy. If you have sent me a PM with interest in a kit PLEASE send another to confirm which kit you want (with a new OEM steel or without) and your paypal address so I can send you an invoice when they are ready to go. As it stands right now I am going to be ordering enough for 12 kits with NEW OEM steel plates. Again if you do not need the steel PLEASE let me know as soon as possible so I don't order any extra steel plates.

Clayton

Alto friction plates are ordered and will be here in about a week. I am getting ready to order the New OEM steel plates and wanted to make sure there wasn't anyone else out there who wanted just the friction plates. As it stands right now I have 2 sets that will be going out without the steel plates so I am going to be ordering 10 steel plates if I do not get anymore interest in the kits without the steels. Once I place the order for the steel plates the kits will be finalized (currently 2 without steels at $65 and 10 with steels for $70 shipped in the US or +actual shipping international) and what I have is what will be available. So if you are interested in a kit without the steel plate let me know as soon as possible before I order the steel plates.

Clayton

It is only 1 steel plate, not all 7, in the kits. If that is what you want then I will go ahead and change it. I don't want any kind of confusion.

***UPDATE***

Finally got word from Alto about the friction plates I use in my kits and this is what they said:

"These parts have to be ID (internal diameter) ground and we had an employee get hurt on the machine that does the ID grinding.
So all of the plates that were in line to be ID ground went into a holding pattern until we made new fixtures to hold the parts properly in the machine.
I am being told that the fixture for these parts will be completed by the end of the day tomorrow & we will have parts in the warehouse on Tuesday, Wednesday at the very latest (we are closed Monday for Labor Day).
I apologize for the delays as this was an unexpected event & I had to go over the head of our production schedulers head to get the entire story.
If anything changes I will let you know."

So it looks like I will most likely see the friction plates around the 8th of September. I apologize for any delays and I will post another update as soon as I get them in my hot little hands.

Clayton

Thanks Clayton for keeping us updated. Looking forward to installation. I am currently polishing my side cover on the slave cylinder side. Tony C

Finally! The Alto friction plates have shipped from the manufacturer and are to be delivered Friday. Over the weekend I will get the kits put together and ready to ship. Just like originally for $70 shipped in the US you get 8 Alto friction plates and 1 NEW OEM steel plate. All I will have is full kits with the steel plate. I prefer paypal for payment but if absolutely needed I can make other arrangements. I am going to get as many of these kits shipped out as I can on Tuesday so if you are wanting a kit send funds through paypal to ippytattoo@cableone.net and send me a PM here with any special instructions. If you are an international customer please contact me here first so I can get an accurate shipping cost for you. If you have already sent me a PM I will be getting back to you today.

Clayton

All paid orders have been shipped. I still have 6 kits in stock with 1 steel fiction plate each ready to ship for $70 shipped in the US. If you had a prepaid order I sent you a PM with tracking info. Thanks again for your business and I hope to keep this going for quite some time.

Clayton

Hate to ask, but are these special or something? I really don't understand the difference, yes I'm a newbie. You sold me a case and side cover. They're looking great by the way, went grey and copper. Is your price good? Or the same? I'm willing to support the forum members if the price is reasonable. Also, is there a reason the 8 pack is special, or is that standard?

Okay where to start.

From Aug '73 to Aug '78 the xs650 clutch had 7 friction plates and 6 steel plates with the friction plates being 3.0mm thick and the steel plates are 1.4mm thick. What makes these special is that the Alto friction plates measure 2.49mm thick which allows you to put 8 friction plates and 7 steel plates in the mid run (Aug 73 to Aug 78) clutches with no machining. Each side of the friction plates have a friction area of 3.14 square inches. So each friction plate gives you 6.28 square inches. 7*6.28=43.96 sq in of friction area for the OEM mid run clutch vs. 8*6.28=50.24 sq in for the Alto 8-Pack clutch or roughly 114% the friction area as compared to the OEM mid run clutch. Also from speaking with the reps at Alto the red eagle material they use is designed to meet or exceed the friction properties of the original friction material.

So the short answer would be that they give a better material and more of it so your clutch won't slip.

Price, well I think I offer a very fair price of $70 shipped in the US. I only make about $10 a set and I actually include 1 new OEM steel plate at a loss of ~$2 each. For that $10 I measure each and every friction plate to make sure that they are 2.49-2.51mm thick to maintain stack height and I test fit every plate in a spare outer basket that I have, and if needed file the fingers, to ensure a proper fit in the outer basket. from 650central.com Barnett clutch plates are $19.95 each and you would need 7 so we will call that $140, EBC clutch plates are $89.00 a set of 7 and Pro Brand are $9.25 each so we will call that $65 and from 650central there is a $7 service charge on all orders under $150.

I hope that answered all of your questions. If not feel free to ask away and I will gladly answer anything you ask. I am not at this to get rick but I do need to make a little bit.

Clayton

Back