aluminum clear coat removal

mitchp

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Want to remove flaky clear coat off 76 aluminum wheels. any tips on how to make this a bit easier. I do not want to de spoke the wheel. Thanks Mitch :thumbsup:

Stripper is best, Acetone works, especially on the older wheels I don't have hard evidence but I think the clear coat was changed from maybe lacquer to a catalyzed enamel? maybe around 77? the I have used stripper but worry a bit about what is left in the spoke/wheel junction causing corrosion. A 4" blue dico wheel in a drill is very helpful in removal and first step of polishing, especially in the gutter. Be aware that the thin plating coat on the spokes and nipples will polish right off. The steel underneath will look bright but quickly rust.

Want to remove flaky clear coat off 76 aluminum wheels. any tips on how to make this a bit easier. I do not want to de spoke the wheel. Thanks Mitch :thumbsup:

Hi Mitch,
good paint stripper and a buffing wheel works OK.
Engine cases are best removed to get them onto the buffing wheel.
Wheel rim outer flanges will go onto the buffing wheel too but the inner face next to the spokes won't so use a small buffing wheel in a power drill there.
But if the rim needs a clean-up most likely the spokes and hub ain't pristine either.
You may not WANT to de-spoke the wheel but perhaps you NEED to?
Then you can polish the rim all over, polish the hub and then re-lace the wheel with stainless spokes that won't go black over time like the plated ones did.

Back