Aluminum rear sprockets

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody used an aluminum rear sprocket? Seems like it would wear faster than steel. They make them out of 7075 T6. Looking for a custom tooth count and nobody seems to make steel ones.

If you get a properly heat treated alloy sprocket, it will last just as long as a decent steel sprocket. If you have any familiar use with MikesXS cheaper sprockets, a good treated alloy sprocket will outlast the cheap steel sprockets 2 to 1...

A Yam650 list member machined out some 30 tooth aluminum sprockets for list members. Quite a few took advantage. Larry is a long distance XS rider with day long pleasure rides exceeding 400 miles. Sometimes on dirt roads and up high in the mountains of Arizona. I think he used 60xx T-6 but don't take my memory as gospel. The aluminum must hold up better than I thought it would.

Tom Graham

A Yam650 list member machined out some 30 tooth aluminum sprockets for list members. Quite a few took advantage. Larry is a long distance XS rider with day long pleasure rides exceeding 400 miles. Sometimes on dirt roads and up high in the mountains of Arizona. I think he used 60xx T-6 but don't take my memory as gospel. The aluminum must hold up better than I thought it would.

Tom Graham

Tom:

This is what the list member (Larry) told me when I asked about the sprockets before buying one. That was about a year and a half ago.:

"CNC made out of 6061 T6 alloy and then vat tumbled in ceramic beads to deburr and smooth all surfaces, then anodized clear for good looks and easy to clean. Clear anodize actually looks silver."

The sprocket did look nice. Not so much anymore. :)

I'm happy with mine, but I haven't put a lot of miles on the bike since getting the sprocket, so I can't speak as to longevity. He put some on eBay, but I don't know if he sold out.

Wade Dunham

The company I've been talking to offers hard anodizing for an extra $30. From what I've read this increases wear resistance but don't know if it's worth the extra cash. What do you think?

If you get a properly heat treated alloy sprocket, it will last just as long as a decent steel sprocket. If you have any familiar use with MikesXS cheaper sprockets, a good treated alloy sprocket will outlast the cheap steel sprockets 2 to 1...

+1 I agree http://rebelgears.com/customsprockets.html the hardcoat with color for$30 is a good idea in my opinion

Last edited:
I have a "Supersprox" rear sprocket on my Ducati. These are US made, just FYI.

These sprockets have a steel "ring" riveted to an aluminum alloy hub, so will last as long as any quality steel sprocket, while being almost as light as an all aluminum one.

They now offer "custom" sprockets, made to individual specs, but these cost a bit, around $100. The minimum number of teeth is 36, so is a bit big for an XS, but may still work fine, depending on type of riding, front sprocket size, wheel size and any primary gear/ fifth gear ratio modifications. (I believe Heiden Tuning/ Mikes XS offer these mods)

On a stock XS rear hub, the weight savings from a "Supersprox" sprocket may be neglible, due to the small sprocket and big ID. On other hubs, like my Ducati, the weight saving may be close to 1 Lb.

For a stock XS hub, an optimally designed/machined steel sprocket may be almost as light as an aluminum one. I went from OEM 530 to a 520 steel sprocket from Heiden, and lost around 10 OZ.

Anyway, just google "supersprox"

Good luck!

Back