Aluminum rim protector

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure why I have to always screw up before I learn something. You'd think I could blunder through something at least once without learning a hard lesson but It doesn't seem to be. Anyway My new tires came in for my project and it would be the first time I put tires on aluminum rims. I've changed my own tires for years so how tough could it be, right? First thing I did was wrap some tape around a tire iron so as not to scratch the rim. Nope, first time I pried the tire over it left marks, strike one...OK after smacking myself in the head a few time for being stupid, I chalked the marks up to "patina" and looked for an alternate means to protect the rim. I thought about using a piece of rubber hose sliced down one side and laid across the rim but the rubber just grabbed and rolled with the iron, strike two. I needed something hard, semi-slick and durable so while wandering the aisles at the local big-box I came across exactly what I needed. I bought a short piece of 3/4" PEX tubing. I cut it down one side and used a heat gun to get it to the right shape to stay on the rim. Tada! Home run. wheel1.JPG wheel2.JPG However this story started out well but after trying to install the rear tire it gave me fit's of another kind. It was soooo difficult getting the last quarter section of the tire to fold over the rim and although I was very, very careful I still managed to pinch the tube. After seeing it was going to be just as difficult to get it back off I consigned myself to just take it to a shop with a machine and let them do it.

That is one depressing story. That big (Harbor Freight?) tire iron can do a lot of damage, quickly. I like to use the little short rounded over ends of the wrenches in the OEM tool kits, less leverage, less damage. Nothing wrong with patching a tube if the tube is new or fairly new.

Scott

I agree Scott, patching the tube is no big deal. I've done more steel rims than I can remember and wouldn't hesitate to "rassle" it back off but with this rim profile and it being aluminum, I'm just not equipped. Better someone with a machine that has Teflon sliders or whatever they use. I also don't consider it depressing, just another reminder of what my home based limitations are and just make an adjustment to keep moving forward.

Ah yes, the joys of changing your own motorcycle tires, lol. Owning so many bikes at once, I've always done my own. Paying someone would quickly put me in the poor house, lol. I would rather put some of that money towards buying some good and proper tire tools, which I have. For years I just used scraps of cardboard to protect my rims. It worked but was pretty fiddly. You had to be careful. I finally broke down and bought some real rim protectors. My only regret is I didn't do so years earlier. These things work just great .....

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0546

As far as tire irons go, I have quite a collection. My best and favorite are these good ones from an actual specialty tire tool company .....

erRAgNK.jpg

They're like giant screwdrivers except with spoon ends. They have a specific slightly different bend for removal and install. They cost a few dollars more now then when I got them several years ago but still don't cost much, if any, more than paying someone for one tire change .....

https://www.amazon.com/Ken-Tool-yanzhen-Tool-Tire-Small/dp/B000OCT7FI

My second favorite iron is the Michelin type .....

fcX4NAf.jpg

I had seen this style around for years but couldn't figure out what that big bend on the one end was for. Well, this is what it's for .....

cVyrotY.jpg

It lays just perfectly over the tire and ducks under the rim to hold the trailing edge of the bead in as you pry the rest of it on. It pretty much sits there all on it's own without you even having to hold it.

The last thing I'll mention is the importance of lube. You have to use it and usually, the more the better. For years I just used a 50-50 mix of water and dish washing soap. I saw actual tire lubes out there but all were quite expensive. I finally stumbled across a reasonably priced actual tire lube, RuGLYDE from NAPA. It's about $15 for a whole gallon. Now, I know what you're thinking, you would never ever use all that. Well, maybe you would because this stuff is triple duty. Besides lubing tires it also cleans rubber parts.

nrAPkZn.jpg

Back