1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

aluminum welding gurus

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jack, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:33 AM.

1. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

I'm retired this year and now that I'm have some spare time I need to start working on my D port intakes.
    I have two options here,one is to use JB weld to build up the floor which will be anchored with a T-bolt system along with either aluminum mesh or fiber and I've used this in the past but my only concern would be near the short turn where anchoring isn't visible and lifting of the JB weld might be an issue.

Second option using a flat plate of aluminum .125 that'll be anchored by three radius head bolts threaded from port to bottom of head and locked in place with green sleeve retainer. My question is what grade of
    aluminum should I use for the floor and can I use 5356 mig wire to seal the edges of the plate. Using a tig is out of the question there just no room and I can't use 4032 cuz my mig as no teflon liner, those birds nest can be a pain to unravel. Any input would be highly appreciated.

2. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Not a guru.
    I did some research on welding aluminium castings though. The upshot was you want a filler with a similar silicon content to the casting.
    The rods that we used were 4047 (ALSI12) 5 to 10% silicon.
    an alternative rod is 5356 (ALMg5).
    So answer to question 2 my opinion is yes the 5356 is an acceptable filler.

With regard to the to the floor material I would suggest using a grade of AL with 5 to 10% silicon.

Here is a link to a website that has PDF downloads of the contents and properties of various AL alloys.
    http://highgrademetals.co.nz/aluminium/

I recently used some Lumiweld low temperature aluminium welding rod.
    It is more like solder and a flame is used to supply the heat (although a inlet port is a big ask). A large propane torch may do the job.
    Once up to temperature you can move the puddle of filler rod around with a stainless steel rod.

3. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

Signal thanks for the input. Using aluminum brazing rods would most likely cause warping issue and a risk I don't want cuz this head I purchased
    has excellent casting with no chore shifting, just to hard to find a real good head. Silicon % of 5 to10 in flat plate aluminum isn't available from my researching
    more half or less of 1% resulting in a higher coefficient thermal expansion lift at the short turn, might be a problem effecting flow to the valve seat but I'm going
    to purchase some plates and do some testing to see how much expansion occurs.

I've purchased two types of port reconstructive epoxys that alot of porting pros use and will put the epoxies through sonical vibration testing using two types
    air hammers:wtf: on a test head in an effort to break loose the expoy from its adhesion,so we'll see what works and what doesn't . Keep you posted and thanks again for your input. Jack

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    TwoManyXS1Bs and arcticXS like this.
  4. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

Got some aluminum flat plate today .132 about .007 thicker but I can work that out with 36 grit rolls. New head stand built and the fun begins.

Been out of the mainstream of posting pictures for some time now,so what are steps in posting pictures?

5. Dave From Maine

Dave From Maine XS650 Member

maine
    Jack, not an aluminum expert but I have had the opportunity to talk with one. He said to use pure aluminum to weld any aluminum alloy so that’s what we did on cast aluminum. Stick welding with flux coated rods to reach in narrow spaces.
    That was 20+ years ago things may be different today...